wine by the color

Friday, August 26, 2005

Another thing you can count on finding here is lots of discussion about food. Remember the classic Eddie Murphy bit about "I'm not hungry, I'll just have a salad ... I don't know why my stomach is making that noise ... 'Cause you hungry, bitch!" I am not that girl. I love to eat. Pizza, cheese fries, pork roll and cheese, steak and potatoes, fried anything, I love it all. If it's bad for you, I am all in. I frequently wonder how I'm not 400 pounds.

So last night my old roommate, BAM, and I went to the Melting Pot that recently opened in town. We started with the cheddar cheese fondue starter, then had a little salad (I didn't say I didn't eat salad, just that it's not the ONLY thing I eat), then moved on to the s'mores dessert fondue. And of course, this was accompanied by a bottle of cabernet. Cheese, chocolate and wine for dinner. Good times.

After that, I made a quick trip to my crack house of commerce, Borders, where there was a couple wandering around with suitcases on wheels. It's not like they were next to a hotel or airport, since we're in suburbia, so why the baggage? I love Borders and I've certainly bought enough there to fill several suitcases, but I've never actually walked in with luggage. You know those signs in the subway that ask you to report anything suspicious? This was suspicious to me. Who should I call?

And finally, on the way to work this morning I was listening to a mix tape I made a few years ago (which features, among others, Cake, Tracy Chapman, Bob Marley, Sheryl Crow, Dr. Dre, Blues Traveler, Neil Diamond and Sublime - it was one of THOSE days). The song that gave me pause was Rupert Holmes' Escape (The Pina Colada Song). Everything's fine (cheesy, but fine) until we get to 'it was my own lovely lady ... we laughed for a moment.' Is there anyone on earth who would have laughed for a moment about that? I wish I could have been in O'Malley's the night that happened. That'd have been a sweet brawl to bear witness to.

8 Comments:

  • At 8/26/2005 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice place here...love what you have so far...and now I have another way to spend some time thoughout my incredibly boring workday!

    Also - from a fellow Jersey-girl, now in PA - pork roll! I miss it so.

    Maddie

     
  • At 8/26/2005 2:12 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Thanks for the kind words, and welcome!

    But this brings up a good question - why is pork roll not available outside NJ? I mention pork roll to people outside this area and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

    And really, that's to the detriment of culinary enthusiasts everywhere.

     
  • At 8/26/2005 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Even an hour and a half away from where I grew up in Central Jersey, out here in Southeastern PA...they have no idea what pork roll is, hard rolls, subs...it's odd.

    I have no idea why there isn't pork roll outside of NJ. I have my dad smuggle some out of the state for me every now and then.

    Maddie

     
  • At 8/26/2005 3:09 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    I remember Freakgirl was going to buy you a t-shirt with some reference to Pork Rolls, and I think she was waiting for me to laugh about it, but I was too busy being perplexed about what a pork roll even was.

    Enlighten me again, because right now I picture it being more gross than good.

     
  • At 8/26/2005 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, how was the fondue place? I have been thinking about going there, but wanted to hear a review or two first.

     
  • At 8/26/2005 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All this talk about pork roll and egg sandwiches - I want to drive to NJ right now and immediately go to a diner. :)

    Maggie ~ Thanks for the tip!

     
  • At 8/26/2005 7:39 PM, Blogger frank said…

    as the only male reading this blog, i just want to say you all look really pretty in the dresses you are wearing, i totally agree with what you're saying, and the toilet seat is always down at my blog. pork roll rules!!!

     
  • At 8/26/2005 8:45 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Meg, freakgirl GOT me that sweatshirt, and it is fab-u-lous. I may wear it next year as we suffer through Bike NY (and by suffer, I mean ride with complete and total joy).

    Maggie, your description was marvelous. I do go without egg because eggs and I aren't the best of friends. But that is the preferred version. This helpful link provides a brief history of the pork roll and cheese, including a photo for visual purposes...

    http://www.hometowntales.com/porkroll.html

    Maddie, I don't know that I could live in a world without pork roll. And I've heard distressing reports that there are places in the world where a buttered hard roll does not satisfactorily fulfill the breakfast requirement, but that's crazy talk to me.

    Bluebunny, in other gastronomic news, the fondue place was great, although I will admit to a certain level of 'I could do this at home.' It was really a simple matter of slicing up apples, bread and vegetables, and later strawberries, bananas and the like, and melting cheese and chocolate. But that aside, we really enjoyed it.

    And Lozo, welcome. Your testosterone-fueled shtick is sure to be a nifty addition.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home