wine by the color

Thursday, September 08, 2005

This is an actual exchange I enjoyed yesterday…

After placing my order, I pulled through the drive-thru at Chik-Fil-A (and everyone thinks life on the road is steak and fancy red wine) in northwestern Georgia. I handed my money over to the young cashier manning the drive-thru, who then hit me with this:

“How are you tonight? Are you coming from church?”

Me (after a lengthy and noticeable silence): “Why, is that what people do around here on Wednesday nights?”

Him: “Oh yes, that’s what most people do; they go to church and then they come here. Why, where are you from?”

Me: “New Jersey.”

Him: “Oh, what night do you all go to church up there?”

Me: (another prolonged silence) “Um, I guess, I don’t know, Thursdays?”

Him: “Get out!! That’s when I go too. Cool!”

Apparently, the sweet smell of sarcasm was undetectable. That was pretty much all we had to say to each other.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/09/2005 4:28 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    Did you say the dinner blessing together before you drove off? "Bless us oh Lord with these our gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty through christ our lord, Amen."

    :: screeches tires out of Chik-a-Filet ::

     
  • At 9/09/2005 5:14 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    There was no blessing. He did seem relieved, however, to hear about our Thursday church. Fortunately, because I'm a heathen, I didn't feel guilty about that lie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home