wine by the color

Friday, October 14, 2005

At my gym, there are three televisions attached to the ceiling in front of the cardiovascular machines (treadmills, bikes and the like). Usually, the televisions are set to NBC, CBS and ABC. Yesterday afternoon I went in for a lengthy workout session and as soon as I started moving on the treadmill, I noticed that the television in front of me was set to the Food Network. What kind of sadist runs on a treadmill while watching someone prepare decadent meals on the television? Me, that’s who. But not by choice.

Yesterday’s meal on a program called Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee (as a sidebar, what is Semi-Homemade Cooking? Seriously, what is that?) was a Garden Italian feast, which included veal piccata and peaches and tarragon with mascarpone. Well, I don’t eat veal, but that looked delicious. Then, as she’s making the peaches and other big words, which is apparently a dessert, she’s oohing and aahing over every bite. This doesn’t exactly inspire fitness. I may have to write a letter to the gym detailing what does and does not make for acceptable viewing during exercise. Not an angry letter, mind you, but just a polite correspondence asking if they could possibly block that channel from the programming options henceforth. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. I mean, it’s enough that there’s a Dunkin’ Donuts across the street. I don’t need to be culinarily attacked while actually working out as well.

2 Comments:

  • At 10/15/2005 9:19 PM, Blogger Joe and Mel said…

    So true about the gym. I trip while on the treadmill if I look up and watch the TV; so I'm safe there. Arctrainer is another story. But the best is watching the jerks come out of the bagel shop with steaming drinks and big fat bagels that you know are oozing with full-fat cream cheese and what are you doing? Have your ass kicked in a Spin class (mind you, the ass never shrinks as a result of the spin class...or is it because directly following the class, I'm the one at the bagel shop??)

     
  • At 10/17/2005 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I often work out at lunch time at a gym near my office, delaying the eating of lunch until after workout, shower, and travel back to my office. And, well, lunch time being lunch time, some of the gym staff eats their lunch in a break room with the smell wafting into the gym. It is amazing how distracting that is....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home