wine by the color

Saturday, November 26, 2005

A few thoughts on two things in which I formerly invested a good deal of energy and interest, but are currently dead to me: the New York Mets and the National Basketball Association.

First, the Mets. Yes, the Mets signed Carlos Delgado this week (a year later than they should have). Many Met fans are fired up about this. Why? Haven’t they learned? Shea Stadium is where good players go to fall apart. There’s not enough time in my day to list all the players who were All-Stars when they signed with the Mets, only to immediately forget how to hit, field or pitch (except for Pedro, who was the lone bright spot in the 2005 season) (well, okay, along with David Wright, who’s a stud, which means he’ll either get hurt or go on a Gooden-esque coke binge by next May.)

Moving on…

While sitting in Leggett’s last night, several of the televisions were set to the Nets-Suns game. First, the Nets suck. But more importantly, I haven’t really pontificated about this dress code nonsense. Mainly because it relates to the NBA, which, again, is dead to me.

But let me say this. This rule is completely inane. How the ACLU hasn’t gotten involved in this is beyond me. That an organization can dictate what its players wear when they are NOT PLAYING IN THE ACTUAL GAMES just makes no sense. True, Coach Anderson made us dress up for away games when I was in high school. But I was 15 years old, and I wasn't making six million dollars a year.

However.

Last night, they were interviewing the currently injured Amare Stoudemire of the Suns, who was sitting on the sidelines in a mack-daddy, big-pimpin’ black suit. And I have to say, he looked very nice. I’m not saying that makes it right. But I enjoyed the effort.

4 Comments:

  • At 11/28/2005 12:57 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    I've hated the NBA for my entire adult life. It's more boring than a 50-inch feature on RU hoops by VanDawsonhausen.

    As for the Mets. Like you, I can smell trouble a mile away.

    One last question. Is there a Jersey Shore Bar you haven't been in this year?

     
  • At 11/28/2005 3:56 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Yes. But not many. It's important to support the local economy.

     
  • At 11/29/2005 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But they got Wagner...that's worth getting excited about

     
  • At 11/30/2005 10:01 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I'm trying to be enthusiatic about Wagner. Really, I am. But I've been here before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home