wine by the color

Thursday, December 22, 2005

I snuck away to Vermont for a few days of skiing and couldn't do any posting because of technical difficulties (say it with me: "DIAL UP"). It was a lovely few days on the slopes and in Vermont, which ranks quite high on my favorite places meter. We had fantastic conditions (actual powder on an East-coast mountain) and a great time overall.

There was one spectacular crash by yours truly on the first day. I slid down the trail for so long (KT approximated it at 40 feet; I felt it was closer to 40 yards) that I had plenty of time to enjoy an internal dialog about the situation. Mainly, the phrase, "hmm, I wish my left arm weren't trapped behind my body like that" was repeated about 20 times. I couldn't lift my arm Tuesday morning but still skied. I've had much worse injuries than that. It's much better today.

But something happened during the trip that worked me into a real frenzy...

After skiing all morning Tuesday, we headed into the lodge for a quick lunch. I stood in line in the cafeteria area to get water for hot chocolate, and while waiting, a man pushed me and damn near knocked me over as he rushed to the cashier with his cheeseburger. I threw him a puzzled look with a fairly friendly "excuse me" and he reciprocated with a hostile sneer. Upon returning to my seat, I was about to mention this to KT when I realized the man was sitting directly behind us.

Well.

The man took two bites of the cheeseburger he needed to assault me to get. Then he started coughing. Then, he upped the ante and started spitting. Then, after another minute or two, he put his head between his legs and threw up on the floor. At this point, KT and I made a speedy move to a spot about 17 tables away.

WHO DOES THIS? If you know you're going to be sick (which this man must have, thanks to the introductory hacking and spitting), don't you make some sort of effort to remove yourself from a public area? Not to mention, a public area where others are eating? He was no more than eight feet from a trash can, 12 feet from a door to go outside, and maybe 50 feet from a restroom. But he seemed more than happy to sit right where he was and empty the contents of his stomach on the floor.

After vomiting, he went right back to eating his cheeseburger. Sitting right above the mess he had made on the floor.

(deep breath...)

Thanks to the trip, I've been a bit lax with the sports news, which is good because from what little I've read, things apparently really hit the skids on Monday night in Baltimore, Chrebet just officially retired and alcohol will not be sold at Monday night's Jets-Pats game. Considering that our tailgate will kick off at 4:30, I don't think it will much matter if they sell beer in the game or not.

The Good Doctor forwarded me web site, which is an entertaining look at some of the biggest blunders in sports media during the year.

And finally, while I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a song title for the Good Doctor, I came across this web site, which lists one-hit wonders by decade. An excellent time waster, for those currently undersubscribed at their places of employ.

4 Comments:

  • At 12/23/2005 4:05 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    After a quick scan of the 80's list on the Web site listing one-hit wonders I can take offense at two artists I noticed right off the bat being accused of having one-hit wonders.

    1-Roseanne Cash -- The daughter of legend Johnny Cash, she may only have had one hit on the pop charts, but Roseanne Cash was and, I believe, still is, a highly successful country music star, posting multiple hits in that genre.

    2-I ESPECIALLY take offense at Twisted Sister being called one-hit wonders. Sure, "We're not gonna take it" was a huge mainstream hit, but for those of us whose lives do not revolve around mainstream radio, Twisted Sister was a hugely influential band on the hard rock/glam scene. Have we forgotten "I wanna Rock," which gained mainstream notoriety in the late 90s when lead singer Dee Snyder demanded Braves pitcher John Rocker cease using it as his entrance music? The song was also prominently featured in the movie "Road Trip." I can keep going on TS, but it's 4 am, I'm still drunk and my bed is calling my name.

    I'm sure if I inspected this site more carefully I can come up with other artists who should also be removed.

     
  • At 12/23/2005 5:19 AM, Blogger Marjon said…

    Was this guy drunk? Or just a total ass? Yuck!

     
  • At 12/23/2005 3:22 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    I agree, Marjon. Who does that? Ew. At least have some shame and remove yourself immediately from the situation. Gross.

    Have a great holiday, blog readers and Jersey Girl! Don't forget to email me so we can get together, hopefully sometime next week.

     
  • At 12/28/2005 11:55 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Sandman, I will give you both of those without question. There were a few that I found sketchy.

    The Good Doctor and I agreed that the guy had to be drinking, despite the fact that it was 11:45 a.m. I'm not one to judge someone for drinking before noon. I just don't usually do so on skis.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home