wine by the color

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Things like this make me apoplectic. How can a writer (or a copy editor, for that matter) for the Associated Press not know the difference between its and it's (second paragraph)? I mean, they used it correctly seven words earlier! I've had my share of adult beverages this evening and I'm still able to utilize proper grammar.

Here's the paragraph, just in case someone over there wises up and fixes this heinous error:

The Buckeyes will be making their third appearance at Sun Devil Stadium in four years. Notre Dame returns to the Bowl Championship Series at the site of its last appearance five years ago, and it’s last national title in 1989.

The above reminds me of one of my favorite internet finds, compliments of the genius at Tomato Nation. I actually have this bookmarked and refer to it from time to time.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/07/2005 8:38 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    This link has been added to my favorites.

    One thing she forgot; well/good.

    "When it comes to being a superprick, Mr. Weber does it real well."

    "Mr. Weber is good at being a superprick!"

     
  • At 12/07/2005 10:35 PM, Blogger frank said…

    god i hope notre dame takes a dump on tO$U

     
  • At 12/09/2005 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    From the Tomato-link:
    ..."it's" is a contraction of "it is,"...
    and the example:
    "It's got a dent in its fender."

    Nitpicky, but I'm very pleased with myself for noticing it :-)

     
  • At 12/09/2005 1:13 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Ivon,

    That's not nitpicky, that is outstanding!

     
  • At 12/14/2005 8:46 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    Wouldn't "it's" also be a contraction for "it has?"

    In that case, "It's got a dent in its fender" would be correct

    And, as Jersey Girl can attest to, Mr. Weber is a REAL PRICK!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home