wine by the color

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Maggie’s recent post about her unfinished knitting projects spurred a realization. I have a sizable number of books that I failed to finish. Some of them just weren't very good and I don't have the time to waste on mediocre literature. But there are three that I have every intention of reading to the final page...

"Namath: A Biography" – An outstanding book. Former Jets QB Joe Namath is a fascinating character and maybe that's what makes the book so dense and somewhat difficult to get through. It's such a meaty read that you really have to pay attention, unlike many sports biographies. It's hard to believe everything Namath has done, seen and said, and I'm still a good 20 years away from "I want to kiss you." But I'll get there.

"Prince of Providence" – The biography of former Providence, R.I., mayor Buddy Cianci, who was as corrupt as they come, yet continued to get re-elected and revitalized his city from Camden-esque conditions. He was actually the mayor for two separate stretches: one, before he served time for assaulting his ex-wife's boyfriend; the other, between that and his conviction on a buffet of charges including racketeering, conspiracy and extortion, for which he is still serving time in a N.J. federal prison.

"We Thought You Would Be Prettier" - Freakgirl lent me this and it's ridiculous that I haven't finished it yet. It's not that long and is quite funny. I just need to focus for a few hours.

So I've already got this stack on the nightstand, and add to that two immense books: "War and Peace" and "Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller Sr.," both of which I got for Christmas. "War and Peace" was meant to be a bit of a joke from a friend but I think I'll try to read it. Then throw in a moral conundrum ... I'm 12 pages into "A Million Little Pieces." I'm not totally invested in it but it has held my interest thus far. So do I continue reading and pretend it's fiction, or give up on it? I could just read Augusten Burroughs' "Dry" again. That was a hell of a book.

We are taking a cruise in February (no, it is not with Dave Matthews) and I have an ambitious literary agenda planned for the trip. Of course, I brought about five books to Hawaii and the only thing I read in its entirety was an issue of Vanity Fair, so we'll see how it goes.

In non-literary news, a friend sent me this yesterday, and it is a real doozy. It's a Howard Stern segment in which he has the fake Arnold Schwarzenegger and George Takei offering some differences of opinion. Takei seems to be completely unaware that he's not speaking to the actual governor of California.

1 Comments:

  • At 1/12/2006 8:59 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    That bit w/George Takai and Fake Arnold was genius. I didn't listen to the clip you posted; is that from Tuesday? Because they did it to him again, today. I could listen to him shout, "I've been BAMBOOZLED!" all day long.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home