wine by the color

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I’m at a conference in Washington D.C., learning about the art of speechwriting. Although I furiously strive to avoid giving lectures, it’s something I have to do from time to time. I think I might eventually like to be more involved in writing speeches for my organization’s higher-ups so I’d like to gain a little more knowledge about how successful, memorable speeches are crafted. And my job was kind enough to pay for me to attend the conference, so here I am.

After this afternoon’s session, I took a stroll through the monuments. I started at the Washington Monument and then took in the World War II Monument for the first time. My grandfather’s brother was killed in WWII, so seeing that was a priority and it did not disappoint.

From there, it was down the edge of the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Monument. I have been there many times but don’t know that I’ve ever truly taken the time to completely read the Gettysburg Address and Lincoln’s second inaugural address, both of which are written on the inner walls of the monument. Given what’s currently going on around the world, standing there reading words that resonate almost 150 years later was somewhat humbling.

On my way back I walked through the Vietnam Memorial, which to me always takes on a more solemn feel in the evening, when only the small lights in the ground shine up on the walls of the memorial. As usual, I did not make the side trip to the Jefferson Memorial. Jefferson definitely got the shaft as far as location is concerned.

I know something went on in the Russell Senate Office Building here today, although I haven’t had a chance to read much about it. I have to wonder whether the high-level of security at my hotel is a result of today’s goings-on, or if something else is going on. You can’t enter the hotel without your room key, and there are police and security all over the lobby. I’m about four blocks from the White House so maybe that’s just a way of life at hotels in this area.

But I’m not going to let this bother me, because when I checked into my room, I was greeted by a huge flat-screen TV. I wonder if they’ll notice if I take that home with me…

4 Comments:

  • At 2/09/2006 1:11 AM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Jefferseon clearly got screwed. I mean, he's got a nice spot by the water, but it's a huge hassle to get there.

    Another intense memorial is the Korean War one, with the statues of the guys walking through a field.

    Another sign of how things have seriously changed to the more uptight in this country is when I went to D.C. in the mid 80s, there was a beer truck parked right by the Lincoln Memorial. Needless to say, that's not there anymore.

    By the way, if you get a long lunch break, go here. It's allegedly a hangout for all the senators and cats like that. It;s about a block from W's hut. Food is real good, but you might want to check on making a reservation.

    Old Ebbitt Grill
    (202) 347-4800
    (202) 347-4801
    (202) 347-6136
    675 15th St NW
    Washington, DC 20005

    Also, if you have time, the Spy Museum is hard core. It's near the MCI Center.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 2/09/2006 1:12 AM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Also, if you get a night out to do some serious schtick, go to Old Town Alexandria. It's about 15 minutes from the Pentagon.

    There's a great Irish bar in that area. It's pretty cool.

     
  • At 2/09/2006 8:15 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I must admit, you have some way of appealing to either extreme of emotions with your postings.

    If you get a chance....the Holocaust Museum might have been the most shocking thing I have ever seen...

    ...unless you count Pincus with no t-shirt in my condo last week.

    Time to finish watching the Buckeyes take on Michigan. I wonder if Reako is in the house.

     
  • At 2/09/2006 9:14 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    The Spy Center and Holocaust Museum are both on my wish list but I just didn't have time today. Instead I quickly hit the Museum of American History, the Sculpture Garden and the National Gallery of Art, which had a fabulous exhibit of Cezanne's works from his years in Provence.

    Shill, it's quite a time for you to ask that. In the next two months, taking into consideration both personal and work-related travel, I will be visiting: Miami, the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Daytona, England (London and Cambridge), Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Portland (OR), and Seattle. There's also a possibility I may make a quick stop in Vegas in there.

    Of course, that doesn't mean I won't have any time to weave across six lanes of traffic on the Parkway. :)

    And Todd, I just like to keep folks on their toes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home