wine by the color

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Life is a little crazy as I try to wrap things up in advance of a 12-day vacation. Mostly good crazy (although my workday yesterday at one point prompted me to research whether it might be National Idiot Day), but crazy nonetheless, which is why there has been and will continue to be very little posting from me for a while...

Somewhere along the way, I managed to injure myself. My left foot is a complete mess, which is unusual because my right foot is the usual culprit. I'm not quite sure how I did it, as for once I was being fairly responsible - wasn't playing basketball, or hurling myself off cliffs or jumping out of a plane (coming this May). The extent of my weekend activities was bowling and snow shoveling, and I can't imagine either of those could be responsible for the crumbling of my left foot. But something did it.

For most people this would be upsetting, and I'm not entirely thrilled with the hobbling around. But it does mean I got to visit my podiatrist yesterday. And to say I have a little crush on the man who fixes my feet is wholly understating the situation. It's actually embarrassing. I turn into a 15-year-old high school girl, giggling a little too much at everything he says and having difficulty putting intelligent sentences together. During one of my first visits, he was jamming a cortisone shot directly into the side of my foot and I didn't make a peep. He remarked, "you know, you're taking this well; most people find this quite painful." I just smiled and mumbled something about being tough. But I was thinking, "you could stick that needle directly into my eye and I would still gaze at you adoringly."

Anyway, Dr. D seemed to be leaning toward putting my foot in a boot, until I pointed out that I was going on vacation and that a boot wouldn't accessorize with my bathing suit very well. He took sympathy and shelved the boot. For now. Now the challenge will be trying to avoid making it any worse.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home