wine by the color

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Spending the past few days on the couch has given me plenty of time to catch up on the sporting news.

Let's start with this. I sincerely apologize for linking to Terrell Owens' web site. It's irresponsible on my part and I hope you can forgive me. But as I listened to his god-awful rap (which is surprisingly profanity-free), I could picture Parcells sitting at his desk, listening to this, hanging his head dejectedly and shaking his fist at the large portrait of Jerry Jones that no doubt hangs above his desk.

This time i'm a Cowboy
and i got 'em saying 'wow boy'

and to the hater who said i wouldn't get my money,
i'm laughin' in your face, ha ha, that's funny

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think he might have actually written this ditty himself.

Moving on to college basketball...

I've learned a few valuable lessons about NCAA Tourney pools:
1. Do not count on Big 10 teams, particularly your alma mater, to do well.
2. Do not enter NCAA Tournament pools while jet-lagged after an international flight.
3. If you choose to ignore #2, use a fake name, so that if you stand 163rd out of 163 after the first two rounds in your office pool, people do not know who it is.

The Evil Empire has been in a tither about the female college basketball player who dunked twice in a game Sunday. Total crap. First, she barely dunked - her fingers just made it over the rim. Take off from the foul line and slam it home if you want me to be impressed. Second, it's been done before (perhaps not twice in the same game nor in an NCAA tourney game, but women have dunked before). Georgeann Wells is no doubt sitting home thinking, bitch, I did that 22 years ago.

Speaking of women's basketball, last night my uncle alerted me to the existence of the women's NIT (which has apparently been around since 1998, just to show you how much I've been paying attention). People barely watch the women's NCAAs; do we really need an NIT as well? No one really watches the men's NIT, but at least there is a historical reason for it - it's the oldest college basketball tournament, started in 1938, a year before the NCAA tourney. But a women's NIT ... I'll have to check out ESPN The Ocho to see if they're airing games.

Finally, I sent off a check for my Jets season ticket the other day. There are certainly no guarantees Gang Green will be any better this year, but I'm confident the tailgates will maintain their high level of merriment and general shenanigans. The season opener is five months away.

EDITED TO ADD: I knew I was forgetting something important. See, I was clearly in no shape to go to work today.

One of my favorite Mets, Al Leiter, retired. My favorite Leiter performance at Shea came not during a Mets game but on October 3, 2003. That night, the penultimate show of The Rising tour, Leiter played tambourine during "Rosalita" for Bruce and the band during the encore. Very good times.

5 Comments:

  • At 3/21/2006 9:01 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    Al Leiter will definitely be missed. And I'm sure seeing him come out on stage during that Springsteen show was a double thrill. I can relate.
    Circa 1994, me at the old Academy in NYC in the pit for a Life of Agony/Anthrax show, when Anthrax singer John Bush brings a pal of his from L.A. out on stage. One Mr. Michael Joseph Piazza, still playing for the Dodgers, came out on stage to say hello and then stood on the side of the stage for the rest of the performance rocking out.
    It was one of the most memorable evenings of my life.
    I even caught a pick from Scott Ian and did some shtick with Peter Steel from Type-O Negative and Max Cavalera from Sepeltura, who were hanging out near the bar between sets.

     
  • At 3/22/2006 7:29 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    Man, even the OSU women's hoops team can't be counted on.
    The top-seeded Lady Buckeyes were upset by No. 8 BC last night in the women's NCAA tourny!
    Cheer up, 11 days until opening day!

     
  • At 3/22/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Can we spare all this sentimental crap about Mr. Leiter?

    Listen, he was a good Met, a great Met, and pitched some big games, but the dude was a politician first and a pitcher second.

    He and Johnny Franco got Bobby V. canned and were pretty much ruling the roost at Shea, running to Mr. Wilpon whenever it served their interests.

    On the radio the other day, I heard a very reliable baseball/Met source say Leiter was a driving force in the Kazmir trade. What a shock.

    Anyway, the best thing Omar did was tell that cat to get lost last year.

    As for him coming on stage with Bruce, I'm sure he came out for Jungleland or one of Bruce's other 20-minute songs, because that's how long it usually took Leiter to get through a batter or two.

    Good riddance Al.

     
  • At 3/22/2006 1:42 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I didn't consider my brief intro to be overly sentimental, but so be it.

    Should we talk about Gooden instead?

     
  • At 3/22/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    I consider Gooden a former Yankee when he starts doing this crap. Actually, a former Indian.

    I didn't mean to rip, I liked Leiter, too, but the dude's a phony.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home