wine by the color

Friday, March 03, 2006

While trying to find a recipe for orange peel chicken, I came across this web site, which provides recipes from popular restaurants. They have the P.F. Chang's orange peel chicken recipe, which is perhaps my favorite meal when dining out. However, I do not have a wok, which is going to make it difficult to cook it for dinner tonight.

On a semi-related note, here's a restaurant-etiquette question. One night during our vacation, we were all a little beat so we just did take-out. My brother and I ordered and hung out in the lobby of the restaurant while they prepared our food. When we got the bill, we were torn as to whether or not we should tip the guy who helped us. Technically, he did not perform the traditional waiter function, but he did wait on us. We tipped him a few bucks. Was this the proper way to go?

3 Comments:

  • At 3/03/2006 2:17 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    I say you were overly generous.

     
  • At 3/04/2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Having once worked at a Bennigan's, I'll say nice job by you since every non-tip actually results in that person losing money.

    When I worked there, you had to give - i think - like 5% of your total sales that night to the general tip fund - bus boys, cooks, hostesses - crap like that.

    The whole tipping thing is way out of whack. Like, why do you feel you need to tip the dude at Starbucks who gets you a coffee, yet you would never even think to tip the dude at McDonald's who gets you a shake. I mean, they are both doing the same friggin thing.

    Anyway, nice job by you.

     
  • At 3/06/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Huh, I didn't know about the 5% thing. Now I definitely feel better.

    I thought about that while standing at Starbucks the other day. They've got those tip jars everywhere now - the bagel shop, other places like that. And it seems to be a fine line as to what is expected of the job and whether tipping should be done.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home