wine by the color

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Good Doctor and I were recently discussing what famous people we supposedly look like. I said that I have been told I look somewhat like Brandi Chastain, the USA soccer player well known for ripping her shirt off after scoring the winning goal at the 1999 World Cup. I'm not sure I buy that, but I've heard it several times and there are worse people you could be compared to.

So today I was walking around a golf tournament with a friend when an older Mexican gentleman approached me, put his hat in my hand and asked for my autograph. I mistakenly thought he thought I was a golfer, so I told him I was not and tried to give his hat back. But he then made a kicking motion with his foot and said, "No. You. Football." So I enjoyed an inner giggle about that, but assured him I was not Brandi Chastain. My friend Jay said I should have signed his hat anyway.

But there was one well-known athlete walking around the course in Palm Springs today. I was standing along a green when I noticed a tall, fit black man standing next to me. I quickly realized I was standing next to former NFL wide receiver/Dancing With the Stars/Pros vs. Joes superstar Jerry Rice. I noticed he was wearing a Super Bowl ring around his neck on a chain. Given that it was the size of my chin, it was hard to miss. I was tempted to ask if he might consider hocking that jewelry before signing up for any more reality television, but I passed.

9 Comments:

  • At 4/03/2006 11:09 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Jerseygirl: Can't say I see the Chastain connection. Were you ripping your shirt off at the time this dude approached you.

    If I ever see Jerry Rice, I'm gonna tell him he's my all-time favorite Seahawk.

     
  • At 4/04/2006 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jerseygirl: I know what you mean. People can't stop telling me I look like Derek Jeter. Woe is me.

     
  • At 4/04/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Brookside, you are WAY better looking than Jeter.

    JP, I don't see it either, but I have gotten it many times. Funny, my friend asked for a re-enactment of the shirt removal. Didn't think that would be wise given my environment at the time.

    And I'd tell Rice he's your favorite all-time reality star. And then ask him what he did prior to his dancing days.

     
  • At 4/05/2006 1:13 AM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    As I've said before, I see more Lindsay Davenport in jerseygirl than Brandi Chastain.

    I'll never forget the day she ripped her shirt off. That was the same day as my brother's bachelor party, and well....since youngsters probably read this website, I'll end it here prior to getting to the part which includes lube and rubber gloves.

    Arse.

     
  • At 4/05/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    HEY NOW

     
  • At 4/05/2006 5:56 PM, Blogger Megan said…

    I once saw Shaq at the Mall of America. I wasn't expecting to see a celebrity, so upon initial glance I thought, "He's an attractive looking tall black man," and then I saw his gigantic Superman BLING around his neck and thought, "Holy fuck, that's Shaq."

    30 seconds later, a herd of people were running after him.

     
  • At 4/05/2006 11:11 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I hope you had the good sense to yell "KAZAAM" at him.

     
  • At 4/06/2006 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    stop it, jersey girl. you're WAY too kind. i bet you say that to Tillman, too.

     
  • At 4/07/2006 2:39 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I try to say as little as possible to Till.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home