wine by the color

Monday, April 24, 2006

Joe Pendleton has been singing the praises of the Dunellen Theater for a while, and we finally checked it out Saturday. Joe Pendleton is a genius. We took the crazy nephews to see "Ice Age 2: The Meltdown," which was amusing enough. More entertaining, particularly for the two adults, was the pizza and the pitcher of beer we enjoyed during the show. The theater is attached to a tavern, from which you can order food and cocktails, and they bring it right to your table in the theater. And to top it all off, tickets were only six bucks.

We will definitely be returning to this house of cinema.

Other than that, the rest of the rainy weekend was spent inside spring cleaning, which was highly productive and a satisfying use of two days. Because loud, energetic music always makes chores like cleaning the bathrooms more tolerable, yesterday's musical accompaniment was this and this. I didn't realize just how loud it was until late in the day, when I walked outside to take out the trash and recycling I'd accumulated. I hope my neighbors like Swedish pop and African music, because they heard a lot of it yesterday.

Speaking of my palatial estate, today marks the 10-year anniversary of the day I purchased Casa Magnolia. Just about this time on April 24, 1996, I was sitting at a table with two lawyers, signing away my financial freedom, wondering, "what the HELL am I doing?" I think I had about 60 cents left to my name when I was done with the closing. But everything's turned out well and I now own a home that's worth almost three times what it was when I bought it. Good times.

But while this milestone really only means I've paid 33.3 percent of my mortgage, it's made me strangely reflective. In 10 years, there have been many changes, while other things have remained blissfully the same. I'm essentially the same person, although I would consider myself much wiser. I considered compiling a list of the things I've learned in the past decade, but frankly, I just don't have that kind of time. It would be a looooong list. So instead, I bring you...

The Top Five Things Jersey Girl has Learned in 10 Years:
1. I have learned that having two nephews who adore you (and vice versa) is the best thing going and that there is no better sound on earth than their little voices saying "I love you, Aunt Jersey Girl."
2. I have learned that family and friends are the keys to a happy life and that there's a special joy in being able to consider family members as friends.
3. I have learned that making less money working at a job you love is much better than earning a ton of money at a job you hate.
4. I have learned that it's okay to realize you deserve better.
5. I have learned that no matter how far my travels take me, there's no place like home. Unless it's Hawaii.

6 Comments:

  • At 4/24/2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    I thought you were gonna say you learned that if you have a retirement party for a 70-year-old man that starts at 2 p.m., you make sure Jack Lewis knows that the guest of honor likely won't still be there at 10 p.m.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 4:23 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    I don't know what joe pendleton is talking about, but that really made me laugh.

    As for your lessons, #4 is always the hardest, isn't it?

    And, why has no one ever told me about the Dunellen Theater? When are we going?

     
  • At 4/24/2006 4:39 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    I can personally testify the absolute truth that is #3.
    Unfortunately, in my case, I had to give up the job that I loved because it paid less than less money for a job a hate that pays almost enough... well, it would be enough if I could stay away from the poker table on days God hates me.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I'm surprised "You can't make filet mignon out of cream chipped beef" didn't make the list.

    Thank you Mr. Tillma.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 11:28 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    JP: Retirement party, or roast? Because if memory serves, he wasn't entirely prompt for the Frey roast either.

    FG: #4 may have been the hardest, but it's the one that has taught me the most about myself. It is one that I've learned more than once, in completely non-related circumstances.

    And I didn't know about the Dunellen Theater either, despite living 15 minutes from it for 30+ years. As an FYI, not only does it have the fine features I mentioned, but you can also rent it out for private parties and watch either the movie they're showing, or bring a DVD and they'll play that for your group.

    Sandman: I think God hates poker, period. Of course, I'll be testing this theory again Thursday night in AC.

    Todd: I think I learned anything I know from Till pre-1996.

     
  • At 4/26/2006 1:53 AM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Jack Lewis is always late, but the night of the GG shin dig, I remember him walking in around 10:15 with Knick credential around his neck saying, "Now, is GG still here.?" What a tool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home