wine by the color

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A special thanks goes out to my cable provider, which during my time in the Pacific Northwest added the new SportsNet New York channel to my cable lineup. Not only does this mean I'll be able to torture myself with nonstop Mets and Jets programming, but more importantly from time to time we'll apparently be able to amuse ourselves watching Joe Pendleton on "Daily News Live!" He did a fantastic job today, offering commentary on NY sports teams, while nicely pulling off a pink oxford.

Without question, his line of the day: "I think some of the beer guys at Yankee Stadium might make more than some of the Royal players, which is depressing." And entirely accurate.

In honor of his appearance, here's a little gem someone sent me. It's a super combination of the actual live call of the bottom of the 10th inning of game 6 in the 1986 World Series and RBI Baseball animation.

And speaking of programming, I was extremely fired up to get a rental car with Sirius Radio while I was out west. I figured I'd go between Howard and the all-Springsteen, all-the-time channel. But I couldn't find it. They only launched Bruce Radio last fall. Is it gone already? If it is, that'll make me extra glad I didn't spring for Sirius.

9 Comments:

  • At 4/12/2006 9:25 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I guess it's true.....real men wear pink.

    Who knew Gary Apple left CBS? Man, I figured he'd be on channel 2 for a while. I was looking forward to his dentures falling out during the 11 PM news in like 30 years...

     
  • At 4/12/2006 10:19 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    The Springsteen station was only for a limited time, unfortunately.

     
  • At 4/13/2006 12:26 AM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Hey, thanks for the nice review. I knew the pink shirt would cause a stir.

     
  • At 4/13/2006 2:27 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    That RBI Baseball reanactment of the 10th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 WS was awesome!

    I used to play RBI Baseball with my brother constantly, so this kicked ass on two fronts.
    I was wondering how they'd simulate the wild pitch, since there was none in the game, I guess the steal of home did the trick. I was a little disappointed with Buckner's error, in the reanactment it wasnt down the first base line and it didnt get through him, he just booted it.

    Next, perhaps someone can put together a reanactment of the climax of Game 6 vs Houston in the NLCS that season using BAseball Stars, another great Nintendo game. Perhaps the Lovely Ladies can play the part of the Mets!

     
  • At 4/13/2006 10:23 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Todd: Apple wouldn't have lasted 30 years. I fully expect that Warner Wolf will be on his fourth tour of duty at CBA in 2036, so we can look forward to his dentures, not to mention whatever crazy hair he'll be sporting then.

    FG: Sheey-at.

    Sandman: Thanks for pointing out the very thing I meant to but forgot ... the Buckner error is highly disappointing. But overall, excellent work. The internet giveth and giveth.

     
  • At 4/13/2006 11:35 PM, Blogger Bich said…

    The Buckner error is sad, but the whole clip is a riot. Next up, I want Game 4 of the Yanks-Diamondbacks series (Tino's 9th-inning blast and then Jeter's Mr. November poke) using Bases Loaded. (That game had a team from Jersey, ya know.)

     
  • At 4/14/2006 11:28 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    If we're gonna see a reanactment from the 2001 Yankees-D'Backs series, I vote for Game 7. It will be very amusing to see the game simulate Rivera's playing that bunt!

     
  • At 4/14/2006 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jersey: next time try the old school hip-hop channel on Sirius. Classic stuff: Run DMC, Sugar Hill gang, Paperboy (I know you love "The Ditty"...).

    SJP: my dreams came true when Baseball Stars came out. Remember that team composed entirely of Asian chicks? That satisfed one of my asian chick/baseball fantasies.

     
  • At 4/17/2006 12:20 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    BSG: I do love "Ditty." I think I'm one of six people who actually bought that Paperboy CD.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home