wine by the color

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Blogging has been low on the priority list lately as I prepared for a media day yesterday. Sorry about that. But that is done and I have a whole 24 hours before I leave town again, so I thought I'd share this...

Ten days ago, on May 6th, we attended the 50th anniversary party of my mom's aunt and uncle (as a sidebar, I tried to research exactly what that would be called. Great aunt? I came across this, which may be the most confusing thing I've ever read. The chart, in particular, is dizzying). When my grandparents lived in Bergen County, we saw that side of the family frequently. My mom hails from a large Irish Catholic clan, and gatherings with that side were well-attended, raucous affairs, filled with lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. Almost more than I can remember the names of.

But when my grandparents moved closer to us and then passed away, we saw the extended family less often, usually at funerals. So it was particularly nice to be together for such a happy occasion, something we all noted more than once on May 6th. "We really need to do this more often" was a popular refrain, as the adults caught up on the goings-on and we watched the next generation of kids chase each other around the dance floor.

Not two weeks later, we'll all be seeing each other again. On Saturday, standing in the very church in which we celebrated seven days before, my aunt turned to my uncle and said she didn't feel well. He had her sit down in a pew, and the next thing you knew, she was dead. They took her to the hospital but she was already gone. They're not sure what happened, although I imagine we might find out more at the wake tonight. Understandably, the family is devastated. She was fairly young - just 72 - and at the party she looked great - cutting a rug on the dance floor as she and my uncle liked to do.

My mom and I discussed this last night. Both of my grandmothers were in failing health for a few years - one with Alzheimer's, the other with emphysema. When they died, we knew it was coming and although it was very sad, we knew they were better off because they were suffering. But with this, it came completely out of the blue. While it's good that my aunt didn't suffer, her family had no time to prepare for it. One minute, fine; the next, gone.

Now, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Both suck.

Regularly programmed shtick will resume tomorrow...

3 Comments:

  • At 5/16/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    So sad. My sympathies.

     
  • At 5/16/2006 5:44 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    My condolences. My family had a similar happening last month with my great aunt.

     
  • At 5/16/2006 11:27 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    Sorry to hear about that.

    Not to get profound here or anything...they say "Everyday is a gift from G-d."

    Unless you're OJ....where everyday is a gift from those clueless jurors in LA.

    And that will NEVER be "old" news.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home