wine by the color

Thursday, May 25, 2006

A few years ago, I was summoned to perform a basic civic responsibility: jury duty. I hated my job at that time and would have done anything to get out of work, so it was quite fortunate that I wound up on a jury. It was an armed-robbery case. The defendant, whose full name I still remember, was accused of robbing a flower shop. During this, he hog-tied the most fragile Asian man I've ever seen and left him in the flower cooler. He was quite guilty.

Given my proclivity for falling asleep in places, I'm sure no one will be surprised to hear that I dozed off during the trial. But I would definitely have stayed awake had this happened.

In other legal-matters news, is this going to affect my taxes?

I went to yoga the other day, and during the lovely quiet time at the end of our practice, someone's cell phone started to ring. Is it wrong to think that should be punishable by death? Does that go against the very good karma nature of yoga? I'm torn.

3 Comments:

  • At 5/25/2006 2:12 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    Cellphones in yoga class. I'm embarassed to admit that it didn't even occur to me to put my phone on silent until I had taken about seven classes. Luckily, no one ever called.

    I think punishment should be holding plank pose for 15 minutes.

     
  • At 5/25/2006 11:24 PM, Blogger Tommyjoebillyjimbob said…

    I was on a jury where this guy was looking for compensation for his van rolling down a hill at a quarry at night and the prosecutor questioned his claim that the cell phone was on the passenger seat after the van had rolled down the hill with him in it to which he said, "May God strike me down if I'm lying!!" I was waiting for the lightning.

    The sleeping thing. One of the guys on the jury was sleeping through about 20 percent of the proceedings. I felt it was my civic duty to give the bailiff a note for the judge that this was happening. Nothing came of it, though. Anyhoo, the guy got nuttin' as we all agreed that he was a shyster.

     
  • At 5/26/2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    Wow...is that an "Anyhoo" in a blog comment?

    I realize the South has taken over American Idol....I didn't realize Jefferson Davis' pals are sweeping through Blog Country, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home