wine by the color

Monday, May 01, 2006

I almost made a huge mistake at the car wash today. I paid the gentleman as I entered the car wash, moved the car forward, put it in neutral and then waited for the car to start moving automatically. Seconds before the water started to hit the car, I realized I never rolled up my window.

Why, you might ask, did my car need to be washed (other than the usual filth and protective pollen coating)?

Because as I pulled away from a bar Saturday night, an arm extended from a passing vehicle and threw an egg onto my car. It landed on the driver side, covering the side mirror, part of the windshield and part of the driver side window.

I must be mellowing, because I barely got annoyed. It startled me, because I sure didn't see that coming. But I can't say I didn't throw an egg or two in my younger days, so who am I to judge today's youth for giving it a go? It was kind of nice to see the kids today revert to simpler times, instead of making bombs and weapons out of spare parts they got on the internet. I'm just glad it was chilly. Otherwise my window might have been open and that would have elicited a completely different response.

It certainly wasn't enough to ruin what was a lovely weekend. I played golf Friday morning and then spent the afternoon with the crazy nephews, playing soccer on the beach and riding the merry-go-round at Seaside. I took lengthy bike rides on Saturday and Sunday, trying to prepare my legs for what awaits them next Sunday, and wrapped up the weekend with a visit to Todd and the Sandman's abode to watch the Sopranos. The Sandman has more Mike Piazza memorabilia that I could have imagined exists. And Todd provided some chops-busting fodder when he gave me directions which included the words "pizza store" as a landmark. I don't know how folks around the country refer to where they get pizza, but in Jersey that place is a pizzeria. Not a "pizza store."

In the midst of all that activity, I managed to catch some of the NFL draft. Loved the Jets picking D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the first round, and not just because I like saying his name. I thought management showed a brass set in not taking Matt Leinert.

D'Brickashaw (who immediately earns first name-only status, like Madonna) is not only a behemoth of a human being who should help turn around the Jets' woeful offensive line, he's a local cat with an absolutely delightful smile.

And it was nice to see the Jets fans on hand react positively to the pick, thus avoiding any scenes like these from past years.

Five Buckeyes went in the first round, including center Nick Mangold to Gang Green with the Jets' other first-round pick. A.J. Hawk went to the Packers, which is great, and I was happy to see Bobby Carpenter go so high, even if it was to the &*#%@ Cowboys.

Finally, I haven't watched a whole lot of NHL games this year, but that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the Devils' sweep of the Rangers. Lozo has done a splendid job sharing some thoughts on the series, and the rivalry, so I'll just send you there to enjoy his work.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/01/2006 5:55 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    First, on behalf of Todd and myself, it's about fucking time you visited. Let's hope it's not another year before you return.

    Second, I have way more Mike Piazza memorabillia that you didn't see. In fact, you were so blinded by Mikey's greatness that you apparently didn't even notice some of the other fine parts of my sports memorabilia collection, like my Greg Jefferies Starting Lineup figure or my Joe McEwing personally autographed baseball, complete with the mispelling of my first name.

    Third, thank you for that wonderful trip down memory lane, complete with viedo that included -- some of you may have missed it - a young Joe Banigno in one of those crowd shots of disgruntled Jets fans. Let's hope D'Brickashaw doesn't go the way of Dave Cadagan.

    That is all for now, if you need me I'll be roaming the Central Jersey landscape looking for a good pizza shop.

     
  • At 5/01/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I just checked with my rabbi.

    It's actually "Pizza establishment."

    I look forward to more shtick from Jersey Girl in the future.

     
  • At 5/02/2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    I think you'll enjoy my response to Mr. Devil on his blog.

     
  • At 5/02/2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pizza store? Is that like going to a Naked Woman Club?

    I once observed a certain sports editor's wife "pretending" to perform oral pleasure on a life-sized Mike Piazza cutout. I can only image how jealous sandman felt ... of her.

    Jersey girl, I gotta disagree with you on the Brick pick by the Jets. The right move? yes. It was also the safe move. Fans don't boo as much when offensive linemen don't fulfill their potential. Taking Leinart would have shown "a brass set."

    About those Buckeyes ... How'd they do against Penn State last season?

     
  • At 5/02/2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Bich said…

    Speaking for Cowboys fans, *$#@ you. (Plus, my fiancee's an Old State freak, so double *$#@ you) just for liking Ohio State.

    Other than that, how's life?

     
  • At 5/03/2006 3:32 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Sandman, an outstanding job spotting Benigno.

    JoeP: Nice banter with Lozo. But it's good to see you found something to agree on.

    BSG: That life-size cutout is in fact in the Sandman's room. I have a picture from that night of said wife sexually assaulting said cutout.

    Maybe a "brass set" was the wrong wording. It was really the smart move, which for the Jets isn't usually their move. Drafting Leinart would have shown "no brains." Something Leinart is apparently using, given his rumored dalliance with Paris Hilton.

    As for the Buckeyes, they didn't do well enough to beat PSU, but they were able to beat Michigan, thus earning a share of the Big 10 title. :)

    And Clark, I love you too. And we really have to get together to celebrate your engagement soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home