wine by the color

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I’m sorry for the lack of posting, but will warn you that it’s going to be this way for the foreseeable future. I’m pretty much my job’s bitch these days. I have been in the office no later than 7:30 every morning and before I know it, the day is over. I haven’t had time to read Monday’s paper yet, and I don’t have time to comment on mind-boggling crap like this, which is unfortunate. I’m sure I could put together a good rant about that one.

(Ok, I'll digress for a minute. It would be irresponsible not to. This paragraph appears in that column: Is it really that bad for America if an athlete opts to put their body at risk in order to become a better player? Am I really the only one who thinks the idea of a steroid-only baseball league is as attractive as Jessica Simpson knocking on your door at 3 a.m. with a case of cold beer under her arm? Seriously, someone actually wrote this. Someone who does not work at the Evil Empire. Ok, moving on...)

But I managed to escape from the office early enough the last two evenings to represent my alma mater at college fairs for local high schools. It’s something I like to do as often as my crazy schedule allows. Both fairs had good traffic and I fielded a lot of questions from prospective students and their parents. I got a surprisingly high number of inquiries about whether OSU has fencing. Is fencing the hot sport right now? Is fencing a sport? My first high-school boyfriend was a fencer (and a tuba player, just to make him doubly cool) and I don’t know that I’d have considered him an athlete.

Anyway, culottes and Stevie Nicks skirts are in for girls. Haircuts for boys are not. The white-boy 'Fro seems quite popular. And I saw not one, but two guys wearing Earth Wind & Fire t-shirts. Are they enjoying a renaissance?

I also enjoyed the following exchange with a father and son:

Father: "So, Ohio State is a really big school. That's good. That would probably increase his (gesturing to son) chances of getting a girlfriend in college."

Me (to son, with a kind smile): "He's killing you, isn't he?"

Son: Unable to speak

My favorite kid was a sophomore who expressed an interest in journalism. I jokingly tried to talk him out of it but he’s determined, so we chatted about that for a while. He wants to write for Rolling Stone and thus wants to go to school where he’ll have access to a variety of music, concerts and the like. He was a little gangly and shy, but adorable, and you could tell he's going to be a good looking young man. I wanted to tell him that in 10 years, he’ll be The Man and have girls fighting over him, but I thought that might be inappropriate and get me arrested, which I’m sure isn’t what the folks in Columbus are hoping for when it sends me to these things.

4 Comments:

  • At 5/03/2006 9:48 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I didn't realize you did those college gigs. I used to decide what colleges I looked at by studying their college catalogs. Good cover would mean I'd take a look. Although there was a hot bitch from Susquehenna at one college fair who made me consider going there. I used a very scientific process.

     
  • At 5/03/2006 10:11 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    And yet Todd settled on Rutgers. Go figure.

     
  • At 5/05/2006 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I suppose Kean is check heaven?

     
  • At 5/05/2006 4:48 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    I didn't use a "scientific process" for choosing my college like Todd did. I picked the one closest to where I lived, giving me the shortest time between rolling out of bed and into class.
    That was my sole criteria... well, that and I needed a school that wouldn't mind that I was expelled from five different high schools, even if it was nearly six years between the time I graduated from high school and entered college.
    p.s. Penn State sucks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home