wine by the color

Friday, May 26, 2006

In preparation for tomorrow's Spring Lake 5, I planned to do some training. But a hearty social and travel schedule made that impossible. The fact that I hate running didn't help. Instead, I decided to go in completely the other direction and not run at all prior to the race. I figured I might as well save as much energy as possible.

So instead of training, I thought I'd focus my attention on diet. I decided to keep a diary of my dinners for the week leading up to the event. And just how does a serious athlete fuel her body in advance of a five-mile race?

Friday: Two chicken cheese ring sandwiches and mozzarella sticks at White Castle.
Saturday: A cheese dog and cheese fries at the Windmill.
Sunday: Pizza
Monday: A Lean Cuisine. And a large bowl of Lucky Charms.
Tuesday: Pizza and popcorn
Wednesday: Pizza, cake and cookies
Thursday: Granola bar and cocktails

Clearly, I should be all set for tomorrow.

A sensible person might ask, if I hate running, why do I to sign up for this thing year after year?

Because it's the official kickoff to summer for us, and although the running is somewhat miserable, the event itself is fun. We line up on Ocean Avenue and await the starter's gun, as homeowners on the street blare "Born to Run" from their windows. From there, it's down through what I like to call the gates of hell, into Belmar, then around Lake Como. Through downtown, around Spring Lake, past our family and friends at St. Catherine's, back onto Ocean Avenue, and finally across the finish line.

Then, usually, to the diner to suck down pork roll and cheese sandwiches. Cause nothing says "Athletic Achievement Accomplished" like a plate of artery-clogging goodness.

A few years ago, Kerry and I had a few beers the night before. That was not wise, and will not be repeated in 2006. Some lessons only need to be learned once. I'm already at a disadvantage thanks to my bum feet. The last thing I need to do is raise my stomach's ire as well. Limping along is bad enough; I don't want to have to stop to vomit too. That's no way to start a summer.

I'll let you know how it goes. If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll have your answer.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home