wine by the color

Friday, July 21, 2006

I am no amateur when it comes to traveling across time zones, but for some reason this last trip really threw my system for a loop. For the past week, this has been my routine:

7:00 a.m. Alarm goes off
7:45 a.m. Drag ass out of bed
9:00 a.m. Drag ass into work, 60 minutes later than usual
5:00 p.m. Drag ass out of office
5:01 p.m. Think about going to gym
5:02 p.m. Blow off gym
5:03-8 p.m. Miscellaneous errands/dinner/reading/important internet research
8 p.m. Fall asleep on couch
10 p.m. Wake up, get off couch
11:30 p.m. Roll into rack, fall back asleep
3:30 a.m. Find self wide awake
4:30 a.m. Finally fall back asleep
7:00 a.m. Repeat

But all is not lost. On Wednesday night, I discovered channel 11 airs "Welcome Back Kotter" reruns at 3:30 a.m. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

And I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to get back on a regular schedule, given that I return to the West coast Tuesday and will be there for three weeks.

In other news from the week, you can read about our venture to see Bon Jovi here, here and here (and a NY Times review here, if you prefer your reviews more high-brow). Overall, a very good time and so I'm happy I got to go, which happened at the last minute.

I am a bit disappointed that Brooke didn't mention what was perhaps my favorite moment of the evening - our joint decision that gender lines don't mean much when nature is urgently calling. That's right (and won't my mom be so proud) ... faced with a mob of easily more than 50 women in line for each ladies' room, and no one waiting at the men's, we quickly assessed the scene and decided it would be just fine to use the men's room.

And it was. We were welcomed in the men's room. In fact, our moxie seemed appreciated. Ah, Jersey.

Also worth mentioning was a solid tailgate, which only served to completely whet my appetite for September 17th. I know people weren't too thrilled with the weather, but after sweating in the parking lot all afternoon, the downpour actually gave me a much-needed second wind. Unfortunately, the band called it quits shortly thereafter.

It should also be noted that I've probably been to no less than 100 events at the Meadowlands over the years, and I can't ever remember it taking so long to get out of the parking lot. And then, once out, Route 3 was a complete mess. That could have been related to the trees and branches strewn about the highway, thanks to the storm. But still, an unbelievable mess.

And speaking of those 100+ trips to the Meadowlands...

This week's Sports Illustrated provided a user guide for this season's NFL Fantasy Football leagues. They provide rankings, players to watch for, those to avoid, etc.

While reviewing the player ratings for the QBs, I wasn't surprised to see Brett Lorenzo Favre at #22. He's a gamble as a fantasy QB, given his INT tendency, his lack of an offensive line, and a shaky receiving corp.

Then I looked for Chad Pennington. He's currently ranked ... not at all. He's not on the list. No Jet QB appears on the list.

This does not bode well for Gang Green.

3 Comments:

  • At 7/21/2006 2:41 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    Oh, shit, I completely forgot about that bathroom thing. I totally should have mentioned that in my blog. Yeah, your stock definitely went up in my book after that move. Well done.

     
  • At 7/22/2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I guess when you're expected to get hurt around game 1 like Mr. Pennington is you wouldn't be expected to rank among the top 40 even 50 QBs either.

     
  • At 7/26/2006 11:23 PM, Blogger Brooke said…

    You know, I'm glad you caught the fact that I left out the bathroom moment ... which truly was the highlight in that every woman too pissed off to wait for the ladies room and had resigned themselves to crossing their legs all night promptly followed us into the men's.

    Beth was already high on my list, but this totally sealed it for me. Well played, Jersey Girl -- well played.

    (By the way, the only reason it didn't make it to my blog is because it's my work blog -- I think I'll find a way to delicately word the whole situation. People at the Press don't take kindly to bathroom humor, but now I'll make it my mission to post without being forced to remove it.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home