wine by the color

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I don't want to be one of those people who's always talking about the weather, but damn, is it nice in N.J. I love being able to turn the AC off and sleep with the windows open. I just got back from an hour-long bike ride, and I almost feel guilty for not staying out longer. But I've spent a lot of time outside during the past few days - baseball games, parties, bike rides, golf, softball, running - so I don't feel so bad about settling in for a little quiet time with Mr. Couch and Miss TV tonight.

While I've been peaking lately with the outdoor activities, I've been woefully unmotivated where the indoor activities are concerned, for which I offer no apologies. I'm still waging the time-change battle, and I'm still losing. I'm no longer up until all hours each night, but I just cannot hoist my ass out of bed in the morning. And after all the outdoor running about, I've got no energy or enthusiasm for blogging. I'll try to do better tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have managed to compile two new photo galleries. One is from my Oregon travels and I'll warn you - there are a lot of pictures. A gratuitous amount, one might think. But there was no end to the beauty in Oregon, so I'll subject you to it all. The other gallery is a mélange of pics from the last few weeks in Jersey - trips to the 4-H Fair, a Brooklyn Cyclones game and the driving range with Crazy Nephew #1, to name a few.

But here's one you won't find in that gallery. Last Thursday, Kerry and I met in Trenton to drive to Philly to watch the Mets beat the Phillies (which we did from a corporate box, which I'd highly recommend you check out if the opportunity presents itself, if only for the free Yueng Ling). After the game, we decided to have dinner and a few more cocktails at Kat-Man-Du, the only bar of merit in Trenton.

When I credit Kat-Man-Du as meritorious, it's based on a few factors: there is ample outdoor seating, it's right on the Delaware and it does not really require going INTO Trenton. We're not talking about a super hot club here. It's a passable way to spend an evening if you happen to be in Trenton.

Which is what made this sign outside so ridiculous. This is a list of 13 attire options that are not allowed within the confines of Kat-Man-Du. Some of them - no ripped or offensive clothing, for instance - are fine. But then you get to some of the ones I've highlighted below, and you really have to wonder what sort of uptight asshole is running the show down there along the banks of the Delaware:

-No Oversized Shirts or Pants
-No Low Hanging or Baggy Pants
-No Long Shirts, including Polos (that hang below pant packets)
-No Extra Long Shorts (that are below top of calf)
-No Hats, Brimless Headwear, Bandanas, Head Bands, or Wraps
-No Plain White or Black T-shirts (i.e. no pocket or logo)
-No Athletic Wear or Sweats of any kind
-No Hooded Sweatshirts or Jackets
-No Athletic Jerseys
-No Tan Work Boots (or footwear that looks like tan work boots)

Is it just me, or do some of these seem incredibly particular? Not to mention, targeted toward certain, shall we say, ethnic groups?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home