wine by the color

Monday, September 18, 2006

Last Thursday I was sitting in a golf cart during the last day of the tournament in Arizona. My phone started to vibrate and I saw my mother was calling. Unfortunately I was unable to pick it up because I was on the course, so I let it go to voicemail. Three minutes later, I got an e-mail from my brother requesting that I call him as soon as possible. That sort of back-to-back contact was a sure sign that something was going on.

So I veered off the course and listened to my message. My mother has a distinct tone when something is wrong, and although she didn't say anything on the message to indicate there was a problem, I knew there was one. So I called her back.

And that's when she told me my father was in the hospital, and had been there since Tuesday. After being assured that he was fine, albeit in need of gall bladder surgery, I gave her what could probably be considered a bit of a hard time about keeping me in the dark for two days. She insisted that because we hadn't spoken during those two days, that she did not in fact lie to me. That's when the word semantics was thrown into the mix.

That all being said, everything seems to be fine. My dad had his surgery this morning and they were able to do it laparoscopically. Interesting, when I was in college, I worked at Ethicon for a summer on the team that marketed the products they use to do that surgery with lasers. I watched the procedure done a few times, so I have a good idea of what he went through today. I'm sure he'll be giving the doctors (and my mother) a hard time about getting out of the hospital by the end of the day. He has a tee time Thursday and I'm sure he hopes to be there.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/18/2006 11:53 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    Good thoughts for Jersey Dad.

    I look forward to your Blog o Rant, as well as your review of yesterday's Jets home opener.
    My take on it is still a bit fuzzy.

     
  • At 9/18/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    I can never understand why all the crap we probably don't even NEED in our bodies always give us the most problems.

    Gall bladder? Spleen? Tonsils? Uterus? Oh, whoops.....that's useful....but it's something I wish some of my students' mothers would STOP using.

    I'm not bitter.

    Hope Pops Girl has a speedy recovery.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 6:01 PM, Blogger Bich said…

    1) Any discussion of the Jets should be considered a rant because only a lunatic would even want to discuss a team that would invariably lose to half of college football's Top 25.

    2) Best wishes to the man who beget Jersey Girl.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home