wine by the color

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I spent a few hours at the local Borders tonight, wrapping gifts as a volunteer for a literacy program. The wrapping itself was uneventful, as I applied Christmas and/or Chanukah (why the different spellings, my Yiddish friends?) paper to a grand total of three items in two hours, although I'm happy to report I collected a solid amount of donations, from people who gave money but didn't want anything wrapped. I knew the bustier was a good idea.

But there was excitement in the store, thanks to a book signing by someone I've never heard of, but who had a line of at least 200 people waiting for him by the time he walked in the door.

Does anyone know Jim Cramer? Apparently, he's the money guru on CNBC, and his new book came out yesterday. And tonight, he was in our neighborhood. After watching how many people bought this bought in advance of his arrival, I expected him to breeze in with an entourage featuring at the very least a publicist, but when he showed up, he was solo and simply walked in the door and said to me, "Uh, hi, I'm supposed to sign some books tonight?"

As I was leaving, I could hear whooping and hollering from the back corner. People were FIRED UP about Jim Cramer. Mad Money, indeed.

While I sat at the wrapping table, the guy coordinating the book signing told us about a recent Nicole Richie signing. Did I look like the wrapper who would be interested in Nicole Richie? Um, ok. Apparently, it was their most successful signing ever, for which thousands (his words) of people showed up. He told me she was very nice, and surprisingly humble.

Speaking of money matters, is there any better feeling than putting on a piece of clothing you haven't worn in several months and finding dollar bills in the pocket? I think not, unless it's then putting your other hand in the other pocket and finding more money.

When I got home tonight, I decided that nothing would go better with a "Biggest Loser" viewing than some wine. After opening a new bottle, I had some trouble getting the cork off the corkscrew. So I used my teeth to remove the cork.

Because I see that in Wine Spectator all the time.

Finally, I tried to find the Bud Light commercial with the rubber floors and bouncing beers, because it makes me laugh every damned time and I thought I'd share the joy with you.

Instead, I found this. And, on the other end of the spectrum, this.

Wine by the Color. We're all about keeping you on your toes.

6 Comments:

  • At 12/07/2006 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How many people showed up tonight for the Cramer signing?

     
  • At 12/07/2006 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Bud horses 9/11 commercial ranks up there with the "Soldiers" one.

    The horses old vs. young snowball fight is good too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZEeHqlI68&NR

     
  • At 12/07/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I left just as the signing started, and there were already a few hundred people there. I can only imagine more came after I left, so it was an impressive turnout.

     
  • At 12/07/2006 1:05 PM, Blogger Brooke said…

    That guy is crazy. He kinda scares me when I accidentally flip to CNBC at night.

    When I worked at Borders in Watchung (you know, that whole journalism-don't-pay-for-shit period), Ashanti -- yes, ASHANTI, of all friggin' people -- came for a book signing. I heard it was ridiculous. Something like 500 people showed up, most of them screeching teens. (I made sure to not be working that day.)

    Is it just me, or do these people think they're going to New York and get lost, so they just stop in Jersey? Just sayin'.

    P.S. In case you're wondering what her book was, it was poems or something. Of course.

     
  • At 12/07/2006 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That Cramer guy must have one helluva following.

    I'm just thinking....if he can make SO much money...why is he always dressed like a schlump, as my mom would say, and can't he afford a toupee at this point?

    Like I should talk.

     
  • At 12/07/2006 9:33 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Don't be so hard on yourself. You don't dress like a schlump.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home