wine by the color

Monday, January 08, 2007

And just like that, the Jets' season is over.

And you know what? That's okay. None of us thought we'd be watching the Jets play football in January, so to do so with friends, eating and drinking the day away, was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, the result was neither unexpected nor pleasant. The backwards-pass no-whistle debacle was just ugly and definitely the beginning of the end for Gang Green yesterday.

If I were Mangini, when Belichick came in for that fake "See, I'm not really a dick" hug, I'd have pulled a Mike Tyson and taken a chunk out of his ear and spit it right on the field. But that's just me.

The Giants, predictably, didn't do much better in the afternoon's late game. We were at my cousin's house Saturday afternoon and because it was 71 degrees, we were all outside throwing a football around (yes, despite my ongoing physical agony, I joined them, because if there's anything I love more than watching football, it's playing football, and I figured my arm was going to hurt whether I threw the ball or not, so I just said what the hell). Anyway, every time someone threw an awful ball - over the fence, at someone's feet, etc. - the obvious response was, "Nice throw, Eli." You might have thought that would get old, but it didn't.

Eli has perhaps the best deer-in-headlights look I've ever seen in sports. Coughlin has a great look too - one of "I really don't know what to do next here, so I'll just glare at the field and people will think I'm angry and excuse my incompetence." It's quite a coach-QB combination. But that's not what killed the Giants this year - it was their atrocious defense. What happened to the killer Big Blue D of yesteryear? What a mess.

We also spent a good portion of yesterday celebrating the failure of others...













Good times!! At first, I wasn't sure what happened, because I thought the Cowboys were faking the field goal and trying to sneak it in the end zone. Once Romo landed mere inches short of a first down, I was downright gleeful, as Freakgirl can confirm as she was sitting next to me in a bar Saturday night as the above transpired. Making it even more enjoyable was that everyone else in the bar seemed to be rooting for the Cowboys, making me the lone celebratory voice (along with Freakgirl, who was loyally following my lead).

There's one more little game to watch tonight, which I'll be doing at my cousin's palatial estate. Actually, it's not his estate that's palatial, but moreso his television. So we'll be enjoying a pre-game meal at Carlstadt's finest eatery and then returning to his hut for the game. I've got pre-game jitters already...

2 Comments:

  • At 1/08/2007 3:13 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    It's true. She was downright gleeful.

    Not being an avid sports fan, I was amused by the sudden stream of men who came from all corners of the restaurant to watch the end of the game. Jersey Girl did get one high-five from a wait staff guy, though.

    Enjoy the game tonight!

     
  • At 1/08/2007 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You were thought of yesterday. Speaking as a non-NYer, it's kinda refreshing to see them NOT dominate at something. Sorry, I had to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home