wine by the color

Friday, January 26, 2007

Given how much I travel, people frequently ask if I ever don't know where I am when I awake. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is NOT good times.

Since returning from Hawaii, I've had some trouble readjusting to East coast time. Well, that's not entirely true. In December, when I was on vacation/not working due to the pinched nerve for more or less the entire month, I reverted to my college sleeping schedule - up until 2 a.m., sleeping in late. Late like 2 p.m. But I'd gotten myself somewhat back on schedule upon returning to work after the holidays, and it just fell apart with the Hawaii sojourn.

So last night, I was awake until 2. I set the alarm for 6 a.m., hoping to get in a run before heading to the convention center at 8:30 for nine hours of meeting and greeting. Apparently, I was so tired I didn't set the alarm properly. Thus, when I awoke this morning and looked at the clock, it read 8:45, which threw me into a complete panic. I jumped out of bed and looked around furiously, trying to determine just where I was. I had no idea. After I stopped freaking out, I finally realized my location. And then started to laugh at myself. What can you do...

On an unrelated note, for anyone who wonders where I got my wacky sense of humor, consider this e-mail from my mom today:

I was afraid that I would forget this tidbit of IMPORTANCE if I didn't share it with you right away.

At 4:00 this afternoon, CBS News used as their tease residents warned about eating squirrels. I, of course, wondered why they were picking up a West Virginia story for the local news. It turns out that they were speaking of northern NJ residents, especially in the Ramapo Mountains. Squirrels have been found to be loaded with lead, so there are now new dietary guidelines from the Health Department for the local Ramapough (?) Indians. Children can only eat the meat once a month, pregnant women twice a month and I don't remember how often for adults. Who would have thought!!!

Of the many things for which I am thankful, having a mother who recognizes good shtick when she sees it is very high on the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home