wine by the color

Sunday, March 18, 2007

MARCH MADNESS, BABY!

My brother and I were watching the game yesterday, and things weren't looking good. With 9.3 seconds remaining and OSU trailing by two, Greg Oden commited his fifth foul, sending Xavier to the free-throw line, with a chance to put the game away.

And then, my brother's cable went out.

I ran to the other room to see if it was just one television, and it was not. So I said to my brother, "I guess they just don't want us to have to suffer through this." I put on my boots and headed outside to start shoveling the heaviest snow ever.

A minute later, my brother came running to the door and advised me that I should return inside immediately, as "I'm not sure how, but this game is in overtime!"

Inside I returned, leaping over snow piles to get there. My cell phone started going nuts and thanks to my cousin and The Captain, I figured out how the Buckeyes wound up living another day.

Even if Ohio State weren't playing in that game, it would have been an instant classic. It's the sort of tilt that makes the NCAA Tournament the year's best sporting event.

If you are going to host friends to watch the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament, might I recommend you offer these two amenities:

1. Have a wide-screen television with the picture-in-picture option. Then spring for the all-games package so you can watch at least two games at a time for 12 consecutive hours.













2. At midnight, after everyone has avoided meat throughout the day to adhere to the Catholics' meatless Fridays, head out to the grill, in the snow, to make burgers for your meat-hungry friends.














An outstanding effort from BB and the Mrs.

Off to Vermont...

3 Comments:

  • At 3/18/2007 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No mention of the unlimited adult beverage as part of the entertainment? Possibly the most important. After walking through the snow to the grill in flipflops, my feet have finally defrosted!

    BB

     
  • At 3/18/2007 10:23 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    A rare weekend blog! Excellent.

    And I thought the internets was closed on the weekend.

     
  • At 3/31/2007 3:01 PM, Blogger Bich said…

    Let me get this straight. You blow off the Wedding of the Year (ask anyone) and instead watch March Madness and grill burgers?

    Both halves of my marriage are sorely disappointed. Our cats will quickly write a letter of discontent, just as soon as they learn to read, write and grasp the concept of a national courier service for paper.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home