wine by the color

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Things were rolling along nicely today, despite a little lingering exhaustion, until just before I left the office to head into the city for class (have I not mentioned the resumption of my quest for the slowest master's degree in academic history? Another time). To kill a few minutes, I scoured the day's news. On the Yahoo News front page was this, which I quickly realized was going on about a mile from my house.

I thought, no big deal, since I was heading in the opposite direction and wouldn't be coming home until late. While I did avoid what must have been an unbelievable traffic jam thanks to the highway being closed, I instead encountered a double whammy: eastbound traffic all screwy thanks to the BLIZZARD-LIKE SNOW FALLING SIDEWAYS (it is April 5th, isn't it?) and the complete shutdown of the train into NYC thanks to some sort of transformer/brake malfunction. These factors combined to make me 45 minutes late for class, although it did allow me to catch a much-needed 25-minute power nap as the train stood still.

Why so tired?

My tried-and-true RSS (Redeye Success System) was an abject failure flying home from Phoenix Tuesday night. Two glasses of wine and some reading are usually enough to send me to solid slumber for the entirety of the flight. Not this time, as I managed a grand total of 49 minutes of sleep. This proved to be particularly disastrous when my original plan of sleeping Wednesday away fell apart thanks to a perfect storm of shit I needed to deal with at work.

So tomorrow it's back to EWR to head back to the west coast, with another redeye home on tap for next week. I'm hoping the last flight isn't a sign of things to come this season. I cannot be a productive human being on 49 minutes of sleep.

2 Comments:

  • At 4/06/2007 10:16 AM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    After I heard that everything happened in your area, I was a little worried I might hear that Jersey Girl was a suspect...especially after Ohio State's showing this week.

    I also expected Jersey Shill to be your accomplice courtesy of the Lady Knights' meager output against the Pat Summits.

    Glad to hear you're doing fine.

    (Well, maybe not "fine" but however you do)

     
  • At 4/06/2007 1:11 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Had there been something on the news about an "incident" at the Noah household, then you could have wondered about my whereabouts.

    But I certainly wouldn't cause this sort of ruckus in my backyard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home