wine by the color

Monday, April 02, 2007

Three months ago, I thought I'd mapped out the perfect evening when OSU played Florida in the BCS game. Had a pre-game dinner at the house of meaty goodness, parked it at my cousin's hut with a group of people and a cornucopia of adult beverages and settled in to enjoy. Which we did for 16 seconds.

This time around, the circumstances are different. I'm on the road, hanging in my hotel solo. No salty sizzlin' steaks, no crowd, no adult beverages. And no high expectations.

What we will have, however, is live blogging. Since I don't have any better options, I thought I'd keep a running record of the next three hours.

A few things to note:
-my friends and family have been warned that anyone who calls, IMs, text-messages or e-mails me about the game will be mentioned.
-anyone who contacts me about anything other than the game will be ripped.
-I'll be referring to Joakim Noah as Choke Him, because it rhymes and because I'm sure I'll want to do so minutes into the game (if it even takes that long).
-Expect profanity. I expect my love of the f-bomb to run rampant.

I'm really not sure how to feel about this game. I do know the thought of the Buckeyes getting blown out by the same school in two different sports in three months is a lot to take. But I don't think that will happen. As long as the refs allow Oden to play.

I did get one good sign today. While en route from Palm Springs to Phoenix, I drove through Buckeye, Ariz. I stopped in Buckeye and walked around for good karma. Of course, the karma then took a step (in which direction I'm not sure) when I arrived at my hotel.

Which is surprisingly located in ... Glendale.

Ok, here we go.

Pregame
Huh. I'm already annoyed. Opening with the cheerleaders. And the band.

Could Billy Donovan look any more like Eddie Munster?

You know what I’d pay a sizable chunk of change for? A choice of announcers during the game. CBS could make a fortune if they offered the game on three stations – one with neutral announcers, one with OSU announcers, one with Florida announcers. I bet it would be much more successful than the awful Olympic Triple-cast from years ago. I'd definitely pay to listen to Clark Kellogg announce the game on behalf of the Bucks.

I still don't love the Buckeyes' new uniforms. It's hard to argue with how they've played since the started wearing the new threads, but I'm not thrilled with the fact that the boys are basically wearing culottes.

Game time
I hate the green floor. Incredibly distracting.

18:02 - no red jerseys near the basket to fight for the rebound. Not a good sign.

16:29 - more than one male OSU fan I know has admitted to a crush on Conley. I wholeheartedly support this. Oden still in the game. Much better than Saturday.

15:11 - first break. OSU doesn't seem to have any big-game jitters. Not playing like freshman.

I have to edit a publication that's going to pre-press on Wednesday. I'm sure I can work on that during commercials.

15:11 - Daequan "I never saw a shot I didn't like" Cook just checked in for Conley.

13:58 - And scored.

12:00 - Bad. Conley out, Florida up six.

11:11 - Are you fucking kidding me?? The TV in my hotel room is on the fritz. Although it did allow me to see an awful three attempt by OSU.

KT has just reported that the fritzy TV is not just in room 244, since it also happened on his. That will save me from making an unpleasant and unnecessary call to the front desk.

10:34 - Beautiful block by Oden. I just jumped out of my chair. Unfortunately, my computer was in my lap.

8:02 - Outside shooting is cold. Those need to start dropping for the Bucks to have a chance.

6:37 - Excellent four-point swing. Choke Him looking for the foul, doesn't get it. Bucks come back for two on the break.

I have five Internet Explorer windows, Word, and two IM window boxes open. Please excuse any typos. I've got a lot going on.

5:33 - Harris three! They needed ... crap, Florida comes right back with one.

God, I could watch Oden block shots all day. I love defense. Of course, it would be nice if OSU could grab one of those blocked shots, instead of letting Florida get it back and sink a three.

3:48 - Fuck.

IM from my uncle: I hate to say it, but they (FL)have just has too many weapons...

Can't argue with that right now.

Two minutes to go. Down 11. Oden needs a good two minutes. Cuts it to nine with that semi-side-hook of his. And then gives it right back.

1:07 - Florida three to go up 13. I ate too much for my early dinner and it's not sitting well at all right now.

Halftime. OSU down 11. They've had to come back before. But not against a team as good as Florida. Seventy-two percent from behind the line? That's insane.

I think we'll start a new entry for the second half. This has already gotten a little long.

5 Comments:

  • At 4/02/2007 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you think Maurice Clarett is tuned in from the prison rec room? :)

     
  • At 4/02/2007 9:21 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I would certainly think so. I mean, he waited to turn himself in until after he watched the football championship game, so I'm sure he'll figure out a way to catch this tilt too.

    Priorities.

     
  • At 4/02/2007 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well played, jg. I've always thought the best way to deal with a sarcastic jackass is to be sarcastic right back.

     
  • At 4/02/2007 10:18 PM, Blogger Jerry Carino said…

    OSU is getting clobbered in the backcourt.

    Ron Lewis has to start hitting, or they're done.

    I win the $1,600 lawyers' pool if your alma mater pulls it out.

     
  • At 4/02/2007 10:38 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    I'll take you to dinner if they don't to make up for it.

    Not a $1,600 dinner, mind you. Perhaps wings at the South Side.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home