wine by the color

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I think I have a fairly broad vocabulary. So I was rather surprised, while reading two articles today, to come across four completely unfamiliar words:

canard (n) - a false, unfounded, and misleading story

fungible (adj) - (esp. of goods) being of such nature or kind as to be freely exchangeable or replaceable, in whole or in part, for another of like nature or kind

stultifying (adj) - (1) to make, or cause to appear, foolish or ridiculous; (2) to render absurdly or wholly futile or ineffectual, esp. by degrading or frustrating means

vituperative (adj) - using, containing, or marked by harshly abusive censure

Unfortunately, each of these new words were used to describe either the current state of affairs in my office or a situation in my field that could impact me in a few weeks.

So for anyone who's recently asked, "How's work?" please allow the above quartet to stand as your answer.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/07/2007 12:30 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    My favorite word to describe where I work is "ennui":

    Listlessness and dissatisfaction resulting from lack of interest; boredom.

     
  • At 6/07/2007 1:49 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    The sad thing is there are a bunch of teens and pre-teens who not only KNOW those words but can spell them with ease.

    That's gotta make you feel good.

    My questions is does "suepec" really exist? Because that's today's "WORD" verification

     
  • At 6/07/2007 8:44 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said…

    You totally just took me back to my days of working with SC at my last job (know who I mean?). He actually used the word fungible in the phrase "fungible resources" in all of our proposals...

     
  • At 6/07/2007 9:28 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Maven, I could actually use a little ennui right about now. Way too much going on.

    Joker, I've had just about enough of these damn kids and their damn spelling bees. I opened SI today to find a big spread with pictures of the kids from last week's national bee. A SPELLING BEE IS NOT A SPORT.

    ME, I can totally see him saying fungible. Now that I know what it means.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home