wine by the color

Monday, November 05, 2007

Upon opening my junk e-mail this morning, I found one message titled, "Dear Beloved in Christ" and another with a subject line of "Meat in Your Pants."

I found them equally disturbing...

And while watching the Evil Empire very early this morning (damn time change), I became so annoyed with Chris Berman that I went to Wikepedia to check his age. Unfortunately, he's only 52 and thus probably won't be retiring any time soon. Perhaps someone could Go Gillooly on his vocal chords.

You might be surprised to hear me say I enjoyed a day in which the Jets fell to 1-8 and the Patriots beat the Colts, but I really did. The attendance at the tailgate was robust despite the lure of a one-win team facing a squad that lost by 45 points the prior week. It was a beautiful, sunny day and really, when your breakfast consists of Italian sausage on a hard roll with a side of red wine, things can't be all bad.

As for the game...

The fine folks at The Jets Blog just listed their mid-season grades for everyone associated with GanGrene, and it's hard to argue with this assessment...

DC Bob Sutton (F-): Worst defense when it counts in the league. I just created a new grade for Sutton. I can’t imagine that Sutton will stay on as DC this coming year.

But all was not lost. I actually watched the game, unlike last week, when I spent more time reading the gameday program than watching the on-field action (or lack thereof). The Jets' new QB was not awful. I spent the third quarter chatting with the guy who sits behind us and learned he lives less than three miles from me. Traffic was very light getting into and out of the parking lot.

And as the Jets were losing in overtime, the Professor, his father and I were arriving at a sports bar to spend the next four hours watching the Pats-Colts, eating more crap, enjoying a few more adult beverages and wondering how many times the senior member of our trio could refer to Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, Randy Moss, the city of Boston, Peyton Manning and Phil Simms in derogatory terms (quick answer = easily more than 800).

While I didn't agree with all of his angry ranting, it's hard to disagree with his thoughts on Belichick. Seriously, what a dickhead...

















And finally, saving the best for last, His Holiness threw for 360 yards and the Pack is 7-1.

Regarding the revival of both the player and his team, I turn to the immortal words of Clark W. Griswold: "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home