wine by the color

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I am not usually a big fan of New Year's resolutions. A few years ago, I vowed to "drink more Coke." Last year, I offered a general resolve to "be nicer" (jury's still out on that one).

But this year, I am completely going in the other direction. I am setting the bar high, and have thus devised a list of 25 goals for 2008.

I resolve to...

1. work less.
2. dance more.
3. read one book per week.
4. lose at least one pound.
5. see as many Springsteen/E Street Band concerts as my time and finances allow.
6. write the second chapter of my book.
7. shave 10 minutes off my 2007 Spring Lake Five time.
8. ride my bike at least 700 miles (cumulatively, not all at once. I haven't completely lost my mind.).
9. visit at least two new countries.
10. knock three more states off my to-visit list.
11. make strides toward finishing the world's slowest masters' degree.
12. consider getting Easy Pass. (I only vow to consider it. I'm still not sure I want The Man to be able to track my every vehicular movement.)
13. maintain a low, healthy blood pressure regardless of what happens on Jan. 7.
14. finally clean the damn walk-in closet.
15. start playing basketball again.
16. do more camping.
17. stay out of McDonald's, particularly between the hours of 7 and 11 a.m.
18. bring the crazy nephews to Shea Stadium and Coney Island's Astroland, both in their final year.
19. make a major appliance purchase.
20. start to learn French.
21. consider writing a fan letter to Le Anne Schreiber.
22. learn how to properly grill fish.
23. figure out how to operate the sewing machine I got last year.
24. do something completely irresponsible.
25. make one major life change.

An ambitious list, yes. But nothing here seems out of the question. I mean, #24 is all but a given...

Periodic status updates will be given throughout the year.

Happy 2008.

7 Comments:

  • At 1/02/2008 10:06 AM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    I'm sure we can take care of #24 on Friday night.

    I simply cannot believe #12!

    And I'd love to tag along on #18, Coney Island. And help out with #8. And I'll join you for one evening of #5 in July!

     
  • At 1/02/2008 12:36 PM, Blogger Bich said…

    #26 - Visit the Deep South? Drag His Pincusness with you?

     
  • At 1/03/2008 9:31 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    FG: Don't worry - #12 is simply a consideration. I expect no action to be taken.

    But I'll gladly accept the offer of your company for the other ventures.

    CK: That is a fine addition. His Pincusness. Hee!

     
  • At 1/03/2008 7:48 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said…

    #12....i don't care if I'm being watched by Big Brother....there's nothing like passing a line of 30 cars on the parkway at 70 mph. Thank you EZ Pass!

    #6....When do we get a preview of chapter 1?

    Feel better Jersey Girl!

     
  • At 1/03/2008 11:49 PM, Blogger Brooke said…

    If Simmy's suggestion of #26 actually happens, please stop by Norfolk, the pseudo-South, so that the four of us can do things that are pseudo-#24.

    And as for #20, keep me updated -- maybe by the end of the year, we can have halting conversations in actual French about wine and Paris.

     
  • At 1/04/2008 12:33 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    Brooke:
    Simmy did not suggest a trip to the pseudo-south. That was Clark Kent. In fact, I don't think I would be out of line in speaking for Simmy when I say the furthest south he would ever suggest a trip to is Exit 38 off the Garden State Parkway.
    Still, speaking for Simmy, I think he might be open to suggestion.

     
  • At 1/13/2008 11:10 PM, Blogger Brooke said…

    Whoops. Totally read that wrong.

    Visit anyway?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home