wine by the color

Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's time for me to blow out of town (and the country, for that matter) and I hope to keep my internet time to a minimum during the next 10 days. In my absence, I thought I'd provide some reading for the class.

-Thank goodness I was sitting when I read this shocking finding.

-And here's a huge crock of shit. It's no fucking wonder our state can't fix any of its major issues, when our horseshit politicians are worrying about things like this instead of, oh I don't know, property taxes and auto insurance.

-From this week's Sports Business Journal, an lengthy overview of the Evil Empire.

And let’s not forget media critics and bloggers, many of whom have made names for themselves by bashing ESPN for what they deem over-hyped promotion, bloviating anchors, shrill analysts and badly behaving talent.

The breadth of the criticism is surprising. Much of it comes with being the dominant market leader. But some are questioning if the brand that breathed cool and hip into TV sports has become too cool and hip for its own good.


They had me at hello.

But who do I have to talk to in order to get my name added to the list of bloggers they asked about this? I'd be happy to share a few thoughts.

-I've been trying to spend less time on the Internet recently, which isn't easy. And Sports Illustrated is about to make it much, much harder.

On Thursday, the magazine will introduce the Vault, a free site within SI.com that contains all the words Sports Illustrated has ever published and many of the images, along with video and other material, in a searchable database.

I can't begin to imagine how many hours will be lost looking through 50+ years of stories and photos.

-"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball." Who's with me?

-And finally, if you have some extra time and want a great (albeit lengthy) read, might I recommend the classic 1966 Esquire piece titled Frank Sinatra Has a Cold. Here's some background on the article from Wikipedia. All around, great stuff.

Adios amigos. See you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home