wine by the color

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Continental Airlines
Attn: In-flight Entertainment
P.O. Box 4607
Houston, Texas 77210-4607

Dear Sir or Madam:

You've probably noticed the calendar changes to May tomorrow. With that, I am hoping you will have mercy on my tender heart and stop showing the movie P.S. I Love You.

In four cross-country flights during the month of April, I watched this flick three times. The first time was a complete debacle - an embarrassing display of tears. I have done a better job of controlling my emotions since that initial viewing but still found myself somewhat weepy during the third showing.

Now, I can't say what sets off the waterworks. Could it be the movie was actually that good? A quick look at the reviews compiled on Rotten Tomatoes offered the following:

-"By mid-film I was praying for Clint Eastwood to show up and take Swank off life support. No such luck."
-"This is a movie that will leave you stunned and stupefied from beginning to end, if you don't head for the exits first."
-"P.S. I Love You is the cinematic equivalent of a Celine Dion song."
-"You could go see P.S. I Love You, or you could hit yourself on the head with a meat mallet."

Hmmmm.

I don't think it has anything to do with Hilary Swank, despite my affection for her fine work in one of the greatest television shows in history, not to mention her role in Million Dollar Baby, aka The Movie I Shall Never Watch Again.

Certainly, that the movie opens with The Pogues' "Love You 'Till The End" sets the tone early. The music throughout is terrific, as is the scenery once the action goes to Ireland. Lisa Kudrow amused me greatly, as did Harry Connick Jr. And don't get me started on the eye-candy combination of Gerard Butler and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

But none of this explains this movie's ability to repeatedly pull on my heartstrings. So that leaves the following possibilities:

-I am a wus.
-Memories of my tremendous trip to Dublin have clouded my judgment.
-A stressful few weeks have affected my ability to filter crap.
-I got completely sucked in by a by-the-numbers chick flick.

I'm at a loss. I consulted my personal cinematic authority but she has yet to see the flick, so I am unable to say whether it's that the movie is actually good or that I have lost my good sense.

Until she is able to do, I am begging you: PLEASE remove this movie from your in-flight entertainment options. I cannot take anymore and I am scheduled to fly three times next week.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hugs & kisses,
Jersey Girl

8 Comments:

  • At 5/01/2008 8:29 AM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    my god, I need to see this movie. It's still not out on DVD?

     
  • At 5/01/2008 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello -Enjoyed reading your post. PSILY may not have been a hit with the critics but the film has been a box office hit making over 140 million so far domestically and internationally and is still going strong.

    The DVD comes out in the U.S. on Tuesday, May 6th.

    And I cried like a baby when I saw the film. The movie is based on a book by the same title which was even more of a tear-jerker.

     
  • At 5/01/2008 11:17 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Ok, so at least I'm not the only one.

     
  • At 5/02/2008 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just got back from London and watched this on the way there. Actually had the person sitting across the aisle from me ask if I was okay because there were so many tears. I sat there the whole time thinking "This is a shit movie. Why in the hell am I bawling?"

     
  • At 5/02/2008 3:44 PM, Blogger Simeon Pincus said…

    I vote "A," you're a wuss

     
  • At 5/05/2008 5:59 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Bluebunny: perhaps I need to investigate whether it is related to watching it on an airplane.

     
  • At 5/08/2008 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I must be a wuss too, then. On my flight home from Italy yesterday, the tears flowed so freely I was sure something was wrong with me. I blew my nose no less than ten times and even cried so hard I snorted a few times! (Granted, I was exhausted and may have been crying because it was my birthday, too, but, still!)

     
  • At 5/09/2008 12:27 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Lake: Trust me. I understand completely.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home