wine by the color

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dear Future Occupant of Seat #7B on Continental #108 from EWR to EDI:

Let me just apologize now. For at some point during our transatlantic flight tonight, I am going to jump up from my seat and make a mad dash for the restroom. I will do my best not to wake you during what will no doubt be a frenzied few moments.

How do I know this scenario is on the horizon?

Well, first you need to take a look at this face...




















Less than 24 hours after this angelic face performed at his nursery school's year-end musical pageant, he was struck by a severe stomach bug, which culminated in him throwing up four times in a two-minute span while sleeping on the boat with his brother and aunt. You want to talk about a flurry of activity - you should have seen me calling the house for assistance, trying to keep him out of the mess, removing the soiled sheets from his immediate area while also keeping his brother, dead asleep, from rolling into it.

Not surprisingly, a day and a half later the gastrointestinal malady made its way to me. The past 36 hours have been a real party filled with nausea, exhaustion, body aches, an inability to keep down food and a triple-digit fever. Also sickened were my other nephew and my brother's in-laws (so far). As my brother said earlier, it's amazing that a 37-pound body could sicken so many people. But he has done it. Not that I would ever tell him that. He's the sweetest boy you'll ever find.

Fortunately for you, I am a seasoned veteran of the mid-flight hurling so I'll do my best to make it an uneventful experience for both of us. But the fact that we're delayed three hours and 42 minutes (and counting) [UPDATE: make that four hours and thirty minutes, dirty rat Continental bastards] [UPDATE #2: make that five hours, double dirty rat Continental bastards] isn't helping matters any. I'm also questioning whether a salad was the way to go in terms of reintroducing food to my system for the first time since yesterday morning. But given the other airport choices of pizza, Chinese and McDonald's, I thought I chose wisely. Time will tell.

Hugs, kisses and (let's hope) a dormant gastrointestinal tract,
Jersey Girl

PS - I also apologize for the upcoming tears. Perhaps you'll get lucky and I'll be too tired to watch P.S. I Love You. If not, I'm sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home