wine by the color

Sunday, May 04, 2008

I'd really like to give my loyal readers a witty recap of what was by far the best Bike NY experience I've ever had. But I'm working on less than three hours of sleep thanks to ongoing insomnia and nonetheless rode my bike 46.1 miles today. I am exhausted and simply incapable of shtick-filled blogging.

But I can tell you that despite a downpour around 12:45 a.m. last night that I was sure would continue throughout the morning, we did not have one single raindrop all day. The ride started chilly and cloudy but was sunny and warm by the time we finished. I can assure you that a wake-up call at 4:10 a.m. sucks, no matter what the reason. And why is there so much traffic on the Turnpike at 5:13 on a Sunday morning? Where is everyone going? But it apparently pays to arrive early, as we got onto a ferry in record time and encountered fewer bottlenecks than usual as we traversed the five boroughs.

Please allow me to tell the rest of the story in photos. Because I really, really need some sleep.

As we waited (for much less time than in past years) on Sixth Ave. to enter Central Park, a calypso band entertained the crowd...











Thank god I don't live in NYC. Honking in the city is expensive. I'd go broke...


















I'm sure people looked at me strangely as I excitedly noticed this NYC landmark as we climbed the Queensboro Bridge...











Another view from the Queensboro Bridge...



















Another NYC landmark, home of the Sopranos...










Many of our fellow riders adorn their helmets with all sorts of nonsense - flowers, animals, what-have-you. This man, however, was clearly a genius...



















Wish I could tell you which bridge this is. So tired I can barely spell my first name right now...













Cyclists ride up the Belt Parkway as traffic sits at a standstill on the other side of the highway...











Oh, I DO know. I don't need a billboard to remind me...










Not to be outdone by my recent cycling disaster, Freakgirl enjoyed a headfirst-over-the-handlebars adventure...













A trio of ladies rest and smile prior to tackling the beast, the Verrazano...













Jersey Girl and her uncle enjoy their final rest before hitting the Bike NYer's Everest...













I promise I wasn't riding my bike and taking pictures at the same time. I think they frown upon that...













All right, bitch, hit me with your best shot...













A view of lower Manhattan from the middle of the Verrazano...













The bridge behind us. Forty-six miles in less than six hours. Time to return to Jersey...













Sleepy time...if my knees will carry me from the couch to the bed. Wish me luck.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/05/2008 2:03 AM, Blogger Joependleton said…

    Did Bloomberg get $8 out of you to cross the VNB?

    Nice post. Nice photos.

     
  • At 5/05/2008 8:05 AM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    You got such great photos! I had no idea you got us as we were riding. Nice work. I would have crashed again, had I tried that.

     
  • At 5/05/2008 2:10 PM, Blogger Simeon Pincus said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5/05/2008 2:11 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    That's not the original Scores. The "landmark" is on the west side.

     
  • At 5/07/2008 9:52 PM, Blogger Joe and Mel said…

    SOOOO nice to see pics from home. Thanks for posting them. We already miss NYC, despite the $60 parking ticket we got last time we were there for being 3 seconds later than the meter.

     
  • At 5/09/2008 12:30 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Sandman: Your higher knowledge of the house of tatas is noted and appreciated.

    Mel: Of course you miss NYC. Where else can you pay $20 per second for something? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home