wine by the color

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Oh yes. I've heard.

As I sat in a shore-area tavern, my cell phone went nuts with a barrage of calls, text messages and e-mails. I wondered if something bad had happened.

Time will tell if it has...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The written word can be a fickle friend.

I write for a variety of reasons. I write for my job, I write for my part-time job, I write for this blog. On occasion (although not thus far in 2008, much to the list's dismay), I write for my book. I write for a variety of correspondences, from personal e-mails to angry letters (hello Continental, we'll be visiting with you tomorrow).

Sometimes, I can write without thinking. Sometimes, a little wine helps the process. And other times, the curse known as writer's block takes hold.

I’ve been struggling to write something for the past month. It’s a short piece - 400 words - but one that will be read by at least a million people as part of an annual magazine. I was at a loss as to where to go with it. I jotted down notes, collected quotes, wrote, re-wrote and then gave up on it.

Finally, around 1:30 last night, while instant messaging with the Sandman about a Poison concert and watching “American Beauty,” inspiration struck. Twenty minutes later, the piece was done. And I don't think it sucks.

As with the first topic in today's post, time will tell if it does...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home