wine by the color

Sunday, September 07, 2008

My life is a bit of a Catch-22 these days. I've got a ton going on but am almost too busy to take the time to write about anything. Perhaps my newfound obsession with Facebook is largely to blame. Ok, a terrific relationship with a great guy and a new position at work are also important parts of the equation, but Facebook is a time sucker the likes of which are somewhat startling. I just lose hours there.

One of my favorite Facebook features is the Status Update, which offers users an opportunity to provide commentary about their goings-on. Mine have included such riveting, pithy nuggets as "Jersey Girl is wondering if, when her dentist told her not to bite into anything for the next few days, whether he meant salt-water taffy" to "Jersey Girl is going to need a nap later today."

Now, realizing that quite a bit of my broad readership here (ahem) does not currently participate in Facebook (although, Mom, you should) I'm going to start a new weekly feature, to be called The Facebook Files. Each weekend, I'll list my status updates from that week, with a few explanatory comments.

Of course, this is ridiculously self-important promotion, but it's my blog so I'll do with it what I want. If you want political commentary or anything of actual relevance, go elsewhere. This is not the blog for you. Unless this is your first day here, you already know that. Sports and shtick - that's what we're all about here at Wine By The Color.

On to the first Facebook Files round-up...

Tuesday: Jersey Girl is sitting in her new office. Which has walls. And a door. And windows.

Among the biggest recent news is that three months ago I accepted a new position at work. It would take forever to discuss how this came about, and reviewing some of the factors that led me to make the change will only serve to unnecessarily raise my blood pressure late on a Sunday evening.

The bottom line is that I have been wrapping up my old responsibities all summer while starting to transition to the new gig, and last week I finally moved from the window-free cubicle that has served as my office home for the past eight years to a lovely office in a new building next door. My new professional home features not only a door, walls and windows but also a fireplace. It's not functioning but who cares - it's a fireplace! My new home also overlooks a fountain and several thousand trees, which should be just lovely when the leaves start to turn in a month or so.

And while this is all nice, most importantly the new job affords me the opportunity to do something new and interesting and to work with excellent people. I'm also going to be home much more often, which given some other recent developments is a very good thing indeed.

Wednesday: Jersey Girl is in America's Dairyland

Wisconsin. Definitely a top-five state for me.

Friday: Jersey Girl couldn't decide between the fried cheese curds and cheese fries at Miller Park tonight. So she had both.

Of course I did. It would have been rude not to try all of their cheesy goodness offerings.

Below is a picture of my second course, the cheese fries and beer #2 (according to Megan, the "champagne of beers," Miller Light). I wish I could provide a photo of the fried cheese curds, but they were so damn good they didn't quite make it back to my seat. I believe the correct word would be INHALED.














Yes, my arteries thanked me.

And Megs, you'd be amused to hear that my boss, who accompanied me to the park, offered the following assesment of the local ladies: "These girls look like they can drink."

I also got to see Sabathia pitch in person, and while the mystery of whether he'd throw a no-hitter was answered immediately by the first batter, he is still a sight to behold. A huge human being.

On Saturday I didn't update my status. Had I done so, it would have read: Jersey Girl is going to have a stroke if Ohio State loses to Ohio, particularly given that her aunt and uncle are attending their first game in the 'Shoe in more than 30 years.

It wasn't pretty but all's well that ends well.

Sunday: Jersey Girl is excited about future plans. And about the J-E-T-S.

If you had told me this would be a possibility after the first week of the season, I'd have told you to step away from the crackpipe.

(By the way, it's lines like You could sever your arm and Belichick would describe the injury as "an abrasion" that put Wojciechowski at the head of the class. Just classic. And accurate.)

I'm not proud to take such delight in the misfortune of others, but it is what it is. I'm not going to beat myself up over a little schadenfreude. It's not so much directed at Brady but his dickhead coach.

Now, I realize a lackluster win over a shitty team does not mean the J-E-T-S are on their way to the Super Bowl. But it's nice to have a little hope, particularly after a dismal 4-12 season last year.




















And overall, life is good. Very good. Lots of exciting things on the horizon. I've gone on long enough so we'll save that for another day.

Also coming another day ... another love letter to my dear friends at Continental Airlines. Oh yes, they're at it again...

2 Comments:

  • At 9/08/2008 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know I'm quite fond of you, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for the Bobcats to spoil the Trojans-Buckeyes matchup for the World Wide Leader. You know we'll be hearing about it incessantly all week.

    Glad to hear you're doing well.:)

     
  • At 9/08/2008 10:54 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    After a post in which I celebrate the misfortune of others, I can't criticize you for your feelings.

    That said, perhaps you'll be spared by the Brady injury, which I'm sure will dominate the headlines for a few days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home