wine by the color

Monday, December 01, 2008




















Twenty-One Random Statements About Yesterday's Jets Game, a day on which it was hard to decide which was worse, the weather or the game...

1. When I got to my cousin's hut, I announced: "Today is going to suck." I wasn't wrong.

2. Despite as brutal a day of weather as I've ever seen during my tenure as a Jets' season ticket holder, almost every member of our tailgate contingent was there.

3. Of course, several of the group did their tailgating in their car, and several others made friends with the tailgaters four groups away, who brought with them a large metal trash can, in which they built a large fire.

4. Those who did brave the elements did so with a smile on their face...








































5. It was almost too cold to drink beer. Everything else didn't seem to be a problem...














6. After standing in the parking lot for three hours, someone noted my lips were blue.

7. The Professor warmed two pairs of socks on the grill. He then wore one of them on his hands during the game.

8. The rain seemed to intensify during the game. It was brutal. I was soaked within minutes of sitting down.

9. I will not bother commenting on the officiating. There are not enough profane expressions to capture my disgust.

10. At halftime, we decided to visit our friends Hank and Scott, who sit in the handicapped section. The covered handicapped section. We never returned to our seats.

11. Our dry friends had with them a blanket that seemed to be an animal pelt. Under normal circumstances, I would never cover myself with the skin of an animal. Yesterday, I would have killed one of god's creatures with my bare hands to spend time under that toasty blanket.

12. The first hot chocolate I got in the stadium was warm. The second was so hot it removed half of my taste buds. I did not care.

13. Our friends' seats are directly behind one of the end zones. During our stay there, the Jets were driving, deep in Denver territory. At one point, I realized His Holiness was as close to me as he's ever been, and looking directly at me. The Jets failed to score, which I'm sure was due in no small part to His Holiness being distracted by my presence. With as lovely as I was looking by that time, it's no wonder.

14. During the fourth quarter, I went to the bathroom. My jeans were so wet they were difficult to get down, and almost impossible to pull back up.

15. Yes, we booed when the Broncos players were getting hurt. It was a horseshit ploy by that prick Shanahan to stop the Jets' momentum, and I do not feel one bit bad for booing. And if Brandon Marshall would like to thank the Jets fans for motivating the Broncos, perhaps he can celebrate with another DUI or go yell at his girlfriend (and a special thanks to Bitter Bill for pointing this out).

16. We stayed until the Broncos scored their last touchdown to go up 34-17. Then, we felt we had given more than enough time and effort, and called it a day.

17. And by that time, we had been in the stadium for HOURS. Why oh why must the longest game I've ever seen take place on the most miserable day of weather?

18. When I put said jeans on yesterday morning, they came to rest at the top of my shoes. By the time I got back to the car last evening, they were so wet and weighted down they extended at least four inches lower, and I was walking on them.

19. My feet remained dry for the entire day, thanks to my duck shoes and ski socks. A minor miracle.

20. While listening to the post-game show on the radio driving home, Don La Greca and Greg Buttle selected as the Ford Tough Player of the Game, "The Fans," for watching such a debacle in such atrocious weather.

21. I finally stopped shivering three hours after leaving the stadium.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/01/2008 5:10 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    Mr. Favre was lucky to be able to continue the game after feasting his eyes on you! How you managed to not look like a drowned rat is impressive.

     
  • At 12/01/2008 5:23 PM, Blogger scott goodman said…

    bullet 14 presents a nice visual....the highlight of my day so far...

     
  • At 12/01/2008 10:23 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Rest assured, I looked like a drowned rat. Note no pictures were taken once we left the tailgate (and thus our little protective Tent City at the tailgate).

    And Scott, I'm happy to help.

     
  • At 12/10/2008 11:37 PM, Blogger Delacheese said…

    I was at the Packers-Giants championship game in January - temp well below zero, wearing 11 layers of clothing (literally) on top, you beer freezes in the bottle so quickly that if you don't drink every minute, you will be able the beer upside down. Really, really cold, in other words. From a weather perspective, that game was not nearly as unpleasant as this one. 30s and pouring rain was truly a miserable fan experience.

     
  • At 12/11/2008 6:25 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Absolutely. It was the rain that was the difference. I've been to much colder games, including one at Lambeau in December a few years ago, and this was definitely worse. Being soaking wet is just miserable.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home