wine by the color

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Why oh why does my body not understand that Sundays are meant for sleeping in...but when you're up at 5:05 a.m. on a Sunday, this is the sort of thing your mind wanders to...

My affinity for rap music started during my teen years, a product of my inner-city high school. Ok, that might be a bit of a stretch, but that is indeed where it started. One of my friends on the boys' basketball team was always listening to this song I loved despite not knowing the name or artist. So this morning I decided to try to find it. The song, "Yo Little Brother," was an early rap classic - a gritty warning from a street-wise brother trying to keep his younger sibling from repeating his mistakes.

Or so I thought...



Seriously, what is going on there? The guy who sang it was white? And dressed in pastels? And a bowtie? And doing somersauts? It's like a horrific version of West Side Story and Sesame Street gone horribly wrong. And what the hell are Prince, Ric Ocasek, Cyndi Lauper and Bruce Springsteen doing there?

And how have I never seen this before? This seems like the kind of thing that would have been very popular on MTV.

6 Comments:

  • At 12/07/2008 10:54 AM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    That is CRAZY. I don't remember this, either.

     
  • At 12/07/2008 2:08 PM, Blogger dph said…

    I refuse to push the 'Play' button -- the preview image looks too much like something from 'Saved by the Bell.'

    --dph

     
  • At 12/07/2008 8:06 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    It IS Saved by the Bell-esque, albeit several years ahead of the show (which I won't rip because that got me through many a hungover morning in college, along with the melodic voice of the Joy of Painting's Bob Ross.

     
  • At 12/08/2008 11:26 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    This does not qualify as rap. Not by a longshot. Bad 80's pop, yes, but not rap.

    This is like an extended version of an 80s PSA -- like the one with Emmanuel Lewis getting molested by his uncle, or the kid that gets busted by his dad doing drugs and fires back "I learned it from watching you!!!!" (That was always a popular one at my house).

     
  • At 12/08/2008 6:53 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    "I learned it from watching you" was actually quoted at least twice at my brother's house this weekend. That never gets old.

     
  • At 12/09/2008 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The internet has been big for what, like 10 years now? Unearthing shit like this? How did this just surface, 24 years after it was spewed forth on the world?

    It’s a good thing Congress wasn’t made aware of this at the time, they might have shut the whole fledgling music video industry down right then and there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home