wine by the color

Friday, January 16, 2009

Back in college, the girls and I used to go out frequently during the week but usually stayed home on Saturday nights.

Many years later, I seem to have reverted back to that routine. Three nights out on the town this week have left me curled up on the couch on this bitterly cold Friday night, cozy in my fleece sweatpants, trying to stay awake until 10 p.m.

But the late nights and lack of sleep were worth it. Tuesday night, I went out with my oldest and dearest friend, who I had not seen in a few weeks. KJ and I have for years amused ourselves recounting the night someone we know got very, very, very angry at her husband and confronted him in a local bar ... while wearing her slippers. I would be hard-pressed to count how many times we have told this tale, which only gets better as the years pass.

Well, the other night, a group of us, including the couple in question, were hanging out at the same bar, some 15 years later. As the evening wore on, we were sitting around telling stories from the old days. And, for the very first time, the two of them recounted the story for us all, unaware of how many of us were actually in the establishment that night. To her credit, his wife has a very good sense of humor about it now.

Last night, I met one of my college roommates for dinner, which went on for four hours. I am sure our waitress did not appreciate our parking it at the table, but we had a lot to catch up on. And during the evening, a few glasses of wine into it, she finally admitted the pepto-bismol pink dress she made me wear as a bridesmaid was not as beautiful as she once thought. It was a well-earned admission 15 years in the making...




















----------------------------------------------------

This Bad Driver calendar is an ongoing source of joy...

Hitting a Parked Car

It’s an all-too-familiar story, and if it hasn’t already happened to you, one day it will. You’re driving along, or maneuvering into a tight parking spot, and CRUNCH, another car seemingly leaps into your path from out of nowhere. You search in vain for the other driver, then realize there is no other driver because the car you hit was parked.

What do you do?

Step 1. Before rushing into an ill-considered course of action, a responsible driver should ask several important questions:

A: Did anyone see you (If the answer is “no,” skip directly to Step 2)
B: Is the car you hit an expensive car? (If “yes,” go back and make damn sure you answered Question A correctly)

Step 2: Drive away

I wonder if my cable company would allow me to pay on a per-channel basis. I have realized I only watch The Travel Channel and ESPN (in spite of myself, of course) and am no doubt spending a whole lot of money on things I never watch.

Speaking of the Evil Empire, I wonder what sort of hate mail Le Anne Schreiber gets in her interoffice correspondence. I should start sending her love letters.

It suggests that every time ESPN becomes its own story, intentionally or not, fans feel the kingdom of sports is in ever greater danger of being usurped by its messenger.

Indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home