wine by the color

Sunday, January 04, 2009

From our ongoing "and people wonder why newspapers are dying" series...

Yesterday, the following appeared in the local paper. I won't include the byline that accompanied said prose, because I like him and have a lot of respect for him and I am almost certain this wasn't his idea...

To Our Readers


Starting Sunday, Jan. 4, you will notice some changes in your newspaper.

Due to economic recession, the Courier News has been forced to cut expenses, including the amount of newsprint it uses.

In our Sunday TV Book, we no longer will have a cover story in the section, and we removed the individual grids for Sunday morning, afternoon and evening, as well as the grids for Saturday morning, afternoon and late night.

Some additional sports listings can now be found on page 3 of the section, and updated sports-related television listings can be found in our Sports section seven days a week.

We will continue to offer our expanded evening television grid, with show highlights, in the daily newspaper Monday to Saturday.

In addition, detailed, consistently updated television listings also can be found on our Web site, MyCentralJersey.com. Newly updated features on the site provide more details on each show, along with pictures and related information on actors and more.

On Sunday, we are also introducing a new books page to the Sunday Courier News. That page will appear in the Community Life section.

By my estimation, this was nine inches of copy to discuss a change in television listings. The entire usefuleness of which, given that every television in America has a station guide available, could rightly be questioned.

Oh, and how did I see this? Because the newspaper, which I canceled Dec. 3, is still being delivered.

The paper has also called me seven times in the last three days. You know, to get me to re-subscribe to the paper they are still delivering...

While reading Friday's free paper, the following head/subhead jumped off page A-3 at me...

Woman plans to marry
The only thing she's missing is a man

Indeed.

4 Comments:

  • At 1/05/2009 2:09 AM, Blogger SJPSandman said…

    I've got oh so many thoughts -- snarky and otherwise -- I'd like to share about this dame who's looking for a husband, but as I've learned, you never know who's reading this effin thing!

     
  • At 1/05/2009 7:10 AM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Actually, if you go to the dame's home page (linked in the article), people are already chiming in with a variety of snarky comments. And someone has been posting random dialogue from "Clerks."

     
  • At 1/05/2009 10:52 AM, Blogger Brooke said…

    That is actually a great headline and deck. I'm kinda jealous I didn't write it myself, really.

    And that's the only good thing I have to say about that.

     
  • At 1/05/2009 6:35 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    Agreed on both counts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home