wine by the color

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Part of the objective of the Great Photo Project...















is organizing and eliminating countless boxes of photos and other assorted personal mementos. Things that haven't been looked at for so long they were covered in dust. Last night, I opened a box that included 38 years worth of letters...














When I opened the box, I thought, "You can probably get rid of most of this." I mean, how long does one need to hold on to old correspondence?

Then I found letters from my parents and grandparents when I was in college. Notes I passed during class in high school. Letters from my brother and high school friends. Letters from old boyfriends. All handwritten notes, before the days of e-mail.

Total number of those that got thrown out: about 3 (of roughly 1,000)

The other half of that plastic box contained this...



















a Christmas card from my parents from 1972, a birthday card from my great-grandparents, another from my brother when he was a year old, a Valentine's Day card from my father when I was about 13, a birthday card from my best friend when we were about 6.

You can guess how many of those got tossed.

It would appear I am a total sap. But a sap with a treasure trove of memories...

3 Comments:

  • At 1/11/2009 12:20 PM, Blogger freakgirl said…

    That's wonderful. I have a few things, scattered around in different boxes. And there are likely more at my parents' house that I haven't taken yet. I did lose a lot of stuff from college, somehow...tons of letters from a friend who has since passed away...so sad.

    Good for you for saving them all. The crazies will really enjoy going through them all one day to find out more about what their favorite aunt was like when she was their age.

     
  • At 1/12/2009 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are those Winnie the Pooh pjs? My brother and I had matching pairs - ours were red instead of green!

     
  • At 1/12/2009 10:46 PM, Blogger jersey girl said…

    They sure are. We were big fans of the matching character pajamas!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home