wine by the color

Monday, June 15, 2009















Regular readers of WBTC are aware that I don't talk about my job very often. That is going to change this week.

Unrelated but worth noting is that two of my least-favorite things are speaking in public and being the center of attention. Given that, I really have my hands full this week.

I work in media in the golf world, and for the past nine years I have worked behind the scenes, running the media effort at the biggest women's golf tournament in the world. This year, I added a new responsibility to my duties, and it is a doozy.

I have been asked to moderate all the press conferences and interviews at the U.S. Open at Bethpage. This means I'll be sitting next to Tiger, Phil and friends in front of hundreds of media members - reporters, cameramen, etc. And if that weren't enough of a challenge, at 11 a.m. on Tuesday you can watch my efforts live on the Golf Channel. And throughout the week, press conferences will be posted in the video console at http://www.usopen.com/.

The scene will look something like this when the room is filled to capacity...














I have gone through this a million times in my mind. I've watched countless hours of others serving in this capacity to prepare. I have practiced in the mirror and made lots of notes. But it is a dizzying thought. But one I think I'm ready for. Really, my main goal is to avoid doing anything that puts me on You Tube for the rest of my life. This would include passing out, throwing up or accidentally using profanity.

However, should any of the above occur, which will no doubt lead to heart failure, I was born in a hospital a short distance from here. So should I experience any life-threatening situations during the week, I will be taken back (although not from whence I came, because that hospital met this fate) to an area hospital. That would make an ironic circle of life, don't you think?

The good news is I've already done two press conferences today and they've both gone relatively well. We'll see how tomorrow goes...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home